Need Dive Op on Vieques

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jeff Toorish

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have students who want to travel for a class --they are looking at Vieques. Anyone have any tips on a reliable dive op there? These are all advanced divers who are NAUI Rescue Diver Certified.

This would be for later this month, probably around the last week in February, 2010.

If you have any info, shoot me an E-mail at jtoorish@gmail.com

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff,

I visited Puerto Rico in March 2007 with my then 14 year old son. We did 3 charter dives on the Culebra Diver out of Palmas Del Mar with Sea Ventures where Captain Bill and DM Pedro were wonderful indeed.

On our third and final charter, we were part of a group that privately chartered the whole boat for an all day trip to Vieques. It was a long trip across and we also had snorkelers along that we dropped off at Green Beach while we went out to do our first dive. The dives in Vieques included reef sites where we dove 58' for 46 minutes and a second dive of 51' for 44 minutes. Pedro and the gang really went all out to make our experience special as our charter included a wonderful lunch and plenty of drinks and fruit. It was a beautiful day with plenty of sun! Vieques holds some special memories for everyone from our group which is why we wanted to go. However I was rather surprised in that I actually found our dives out and around Humaco to be nicer with more life than we found around Vieques. I've attached a couple of pics showing the island of Vieques in the background.

I can not say enough kind remarks about how wonderful Sea Ventures was. Although I typically prefer to go off on my own with my dive buddy than being guided on a tour with a DM, my experience with Pedro was much different. He knew the insights of each of the sites so well and provided the space that each diver needed while gently and professionally helping those who are more inexperienced without being pushy or arrogant. It is always a fine line and he is able to walk it as well as I've seen.

Vieques040107a.jpg Sam040107.jpg

Back
Top Bottom