need Dive op and lodging for 1st time florida trip- Key West

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jayfarmlaw

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Looking for help with a quick dive trip for my anniversary. southwest has reasonable flights to Fort Lauderdale and I can't justify a trip back to Coz since we just got back 3 weeks ago.

Looking for for an op that does sleep and dive packages for 3 diving days somewhere between the 24th and March 1st. Nothing specific, but would like to do a couple of wrecks in the 40 to 80 ft range. We're just open water certified. Looking for the most bang for the buck. I like a 100 cf tank. Dive trips look like they average 70 -80 for 2 tank dives. Hotels from 125 to 200 a night.

whats the best way to get from Fort Lauderdale to the Keys? Renting a car is between 200 and 300. It looks like there is a shuttle, but renting a car was much cheaper.

will we need a car in Key West? Or is everything walkable within reason.

ive looked at rainbow reef, conch republic, pirate island,and quiescence. If I've missed your favorite, or your an operator with a special going, please let me know. I have gained a lot of knowledge from this site and would love to work with a site sponsor or contributor if possible.

edit- any dive ops in the keys are possible, key west to key largo! Thanks Sporxlh for pointing out I know less than nothing about the Keys. Lol.

thanks in advance for your response,
jay

Last edited:
The Vandenberg is the main wreck in Key West: I know open water divers do dive it, but its hard to dive it shallower than 90 feet or so if much current is present. If there is no current, I think the very top of the crows nest and smoke stack are at about 50-60 feet or so, but I've only been able to see those up close once or twice since there's been current on the vast majority of the dives I've done on the wreck: on most of my dives, I've stayed close to the deck at 90 feet or so.

I usually dive with Capt's Corner when in Key West, its fairly cheap but can be a bit of a cattle boat. I go back though since I've had good experiences with them and they are very accommodating to divers with advanced certifications: unlike some operators in KW. You can hire a guide from them since they do take out cruise ship divers regularly too. I think they have some sort of crappy bunk house that you can rent a bed in (never done it). I have no idea about hotel packages.

I always drive so don't know about shuttles. If your hotel is near Duvall Street, then you can walk to the night life. If your not on that side of the Key, its easier to drive and park near Duvall Street or Mallory Square or at least have a bicycle to ride over. I've stayed at the Coconut Mallory condo and it is way too far to walk.

If you really want to have a fun time, see if the MV Spree has any Dry Tortugas trips when your down that way. The Spree is a live-aboard that does 3 day trips to the Tortugas: its port is in KW. By the time you add up dive costs, food costs, hotel costs, etc., it is a pretty good deal and a unique experience.

If you truly want shallow wrecks, don't leave Ft Lauderdale. The Pompano area is filled with wrecks that are great fun to dive. Some are fairly shallow and probably meet your desires. Lots of good operators too, like South Florida Dive HQ, Scubatyme, Pompano Dive Center. Gold Coast Scuba shop in nearby Lauderdale by the Sea, has hotel packages if you book boats and rent gear through them. There's also good shore diving near the hotel Gold Coast uses. Miami Beach or Las Olas Street in Ft Lauderdale are not far away and offer great night life.

BTW, all the boats you named in your post are in Key Largo: that's 100 miles from Key West

key largo....key west...220,221, what ever it takes. I'm laughing at my dumb ass as we speak. I found this thing called a map and it looks like a fun drive. Either would work wherever the best deal is. I'll check your shops now.
thanks again for your response.
jay

Any of the dive shops in Key West will provide you with a guide if you ask in advance. Maybe I missed it, but you don't say when you're coming down. If it were me, I would find a place in town and ditch the car while you're in Key West. It is very walkable.

key largo....key west...220,221, what ever it takes. I'm laughing at my dumb ass as we speak. I found this thing called a map and it looks like a fun drive. Either would work wherever the best deal is. I'll check your shops now.
thanks again for your response.
jay

Key Largo is cheaper from a hotel standpoint, though you'll generally need a car to get around. Dive costs are about the same as Key West. Key West is this historic quaint town with tons of bars, some museums, cool water front to walk on, neat traditions like watching sunset over Mallory Square, etc. Key Largo is not like that at all: there's no real downtown and to get to most dive shops and restaurants, you'll need a car. Key West is a nice vacation for just about anyone, Key Largo is geared to diving and fishing, in my view. In my opinion, the diving in Key Largo is much much better: there are several deep wrecks, a few shallow wrecks and lots and lots and lots of reef sites.

The operators I like in the Key Largo area include Conch Republic, which I've done the most dives with, but I've had good experience with Rainbow Reef (which is great for a newer diver since guides are included) and for a six pack, Quiescence. I've been out with a few others that are more geared to experienced divers. There are many more operators in Key Largo and none has a truly terrible reputation that I know of.

If you want a dirt cheap place to stay: check out Hungry Pelican. It is a typical locally owned Key Largo cheesy hotel. Don't expect the Ritz or even a typical Marriott or Holiday Inn. But if you spend little time in your hotel room and aren't too picky, you can get a decent nights sleep. The hotel has a little dock to watch the sun set: nice place to enjoy a beverage at the end of the day. I've been there with a dive buddy but would never take my wife; she's not too picky, but that place would be too 'rustic' for her.

There is a Marriott Courtyard next to Rainbow reef so you can walk from one to the other. If you check out Conch Republic and Rainbow's web pages, they have recomendations for hotels (packages too I think). I've heard Ocean Divers also has a package deal for a nearby hotel, though I've never used Ocean Divers for diving.

The KL to KW drive is incredibly pretty, especially once you hit mile marker 88 or so: the drive is something you should do one afternoon while your in the Keys, maybe after a morning of diving in Key Largo, head to Key West for afternoon and evening activities.

When #1 dive buddy Andrea and I did a trip to the Keys, we dove with Conch Republic on Tavernier. We thought Gary and Brenda were great.

In KW I like Lost Reef Dive shop. Several years ago Admiral Brenda recommended them to me and I have since dove them 4 or 5 times and every time there has been at least one other person on the boat that is there because she recommended them. As far as hospitality and friendliness they are as close as you will get to that of the Conch Republic shop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom