Need Dive Flag Float Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I built a big and bulky dive float. It's 2'x2' wide and 1' deep. Got styro foam for free from a company here it was scrap. I have to large bolts with Dead end Eyelets.. so I can tie an anchor line on the bottom and or to a boat from the top. I made my own dive flag out of Flag nylon material.. since I sew it was easy to make. I covered the foam in some planking my dad had in the basement leaving a space in the middle of the float for a 1.5" diameter dowel to go through. I painted the float red and stenciled "Cauntion" on two sides and "Dive Down" on the other two sides< oposite each other> I have a 50' anchor line on it and I take out to where my dive buddy and I decide to go down, and I anchor the float. I don't drag it with me because even with small floats, I have found you get tangled up easily. Because the float is big, it's visible, and when I surface, I can put my mask, fins on the float.. I can also attach a spare tank to the underside or tie it to the float to the top side dead end eyelett. It's bulky and somewhat a pain to transport, but I like it.

To make your own... easy travel one, get a large stryo foam Ball< can find at craft stores or hardware stores> A 4' piece of .5" dowel, and 1bls lead weight to use as a counter weight and your dive flag, a couple pieces of wire to make your dive flag stiff... here's a rough sketch.. and it;s symple to disassemble as well.. You can pic up vynal dive flags for $9.99 which have the wire already in it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom