Need cylinder size information for a wet sub

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Liz_2008

Reaction score
Hi,

I am doing a design project as part of my mechanical engineering degree at university. It is to design a leisure submarine type vehicle that will operate at 10 m for 1 hour. I have decided to go for an open vehicle which means I will need scuba tanks for our air supply. I was wondering if anyone could suggest a tank size that I could use. The power for the sub is by means of pedal power so quite a lot of energy and therefore air will be required. Any help asap would be greatly appreciated.

Liz.

Use the search function and look for "SAC" and "SCR" which stands for "Surface air consumption" and "Surface consumption rate."

This is typically expressed in cubic feet per minute at 1 ATA (surface pressure). You're talking about 2ATA. A nice round number for a normal experienced diver swimming around is a SAC of .5.

At 10M you're at about 2ATA.

So assuming that the amount of effort is the same as swimming, at 2 ATA that'll be 1 cf/min, which means that an AL80 will last 80min if you empty it, or a little more than an hour if you surface with 500 psi remaining.

If it takes a lot of effort to pedal your sub, up that SAC to 1 or 2, and you'll need some pretty large cylinders.

Roak

You say "we." Does that mean a two person sub? My guesstimate is that if you're peddling you'll probably burn about 2 SCFM per person at 10M, so you'll need a minimum of 120 SCFM/HR/person. With a reserve I'd up that to 160/HR/person, or basically two standard 80's for a one person sub or four for a two person sub.
Have fun, and let us know how it works out.
E. itajara

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom