Need cheering up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heads Up

Contributor
Reaction score
Have had a dive trip planned for this weekend for weeks now. Weather is shaping up to being perfect (as far a perfect goes in Scotland - 9c, sunshine on both days etc.)

I have my cylinder nicely filled with EAN27 - perfect for the dives planned. The dive boat is booked for 14 of us, as is the accomodation and the meal of freshly cooked Scottish scallops in white wine and cream ready for our arrival this evening.

Sound appealing?

Have been fighting a cold all week - plenty of fluids, paracetemol and rest (at the expense of going to work, obviously). Really thought I was feeling better last night but woke this morning and the damned thing had moved to my chest and I was wheezing like a good 'un. By lunchtime, I took myself to one side and gave myself a good talking to - there was no way I could dive safely so I had to drop out of the trip this afternoon.

I guess the rest will have arrived by now - man, I bet those scallops taste sweet!

;-0

Still, theres always next month!!

(Just feeling a little sorry for myself!)

Originally posted by Heads Up
Have had a dive trip planned for this weekend for weeks now. Weather is shaping up to being perfect (as far a perfect goes in Scotland - 9c, sunshine on both days etc.)

I have my cylinder nicely filled with EAN27 - perfect for the dives planned. The dive boat is booked for 14 of us, as is the accomodation and the meal of freshly cooked Scottish scallops in white wine and cream ready for our arrival this evening.

Sound appealing?

Have been fighting a cold all week - plenty of fluids, paracetemol and rest (at the expense of going to work, obviously). Really thought I was feeling better last night but woke this morning and the damned thing had moved to my chest and I was wheezing like a good 'un. By lunchtime, I took myself to one side and gave myself a good talking to - there was no way I could dive safely so I had to drop out of the trip this afternoon.

I guess the rest will have arrived by now - man, I bet those scallops taste sweet!

;-0

Still, theres always next month!!

(Just feeling a little sorry for myself!)

Man I was feeling good about it being Friday and all after reading that I am depressed! That sucks! I feel for ya man!

As your reply came in, I was looking at your photo on your profile and trying to decide whose photo was more hip - yours or mine? Reckon we should run a poll?

Thanks for the post though - am soothing the problem with some amber lubrication and, as you say, it IS Friday!!

It'll be all right! A few years ago I was visiting my family in Wales and contracted a nasty little cold! The "over the counter" cold medicine available in the UK is SUBSTANTIALLY stronger than here in the US. Just take a litte of that, honey & you'll be dreaming sweet dreams of diving that may even surpass your anticipation on tonights dive! Hang in there!

One trip I had planned for 4 months, had to cancel the night before for a illness. Lost nearly all my money. After paying for the money I lost for the second trip, when the date for the second attempt rolled around I had HAD to attend a business meeting, I was reimbursed for the trip...Haven't tried for a third attempt.

Hey, cheer up! Here's a story for you!

Went on the Nekton Pilot (the "no-seasick"boat) in August with another couple. We'll call the male half of the couple "Tom." Tom didn't take any dramamine, his wife and I did. Tom and his wife dove one time on Sunday. Sunday night Tom was feeling ill, guess he went to bed vomiting. Threw up all night (he was seasick on the "no-seasick" boat). By Tuesday night we still hadn't seen him, his wife told us he was passing blood. She told the captain and they called the Coast Guard. Tom's blood pressure was about 70 over 60. He'd thrown up so much he'd torn his esophagus, not an unusual occurrence for that much vomiting. Problem was he takes blood thinners and the bleeding never stopped hence the blood pressure problem.

The Coast Guard brought a helicopter and evacuated him to a hospital in the Florida Keys, the closest place. His wife stayed on the Nekton because there was no room for her in the chopper. She joined him 2 days later once we got to Bimini where she could fly out.

Don't know if they got their money back for the trip but do know the hospital stay cost $18,000 US. That will buy a LOT of Dramamine or any other motion sickness remedy!

Hope you feel better soon!

Ber :bunny:

That's an awful story, but thankfully 'Tom' was ok in the end.

Jay, if that last one doesn't make you feel better luv, I don't know what will! I'm with scubadweeb - chug some nice UK cough syrup and see how you feel :p

And I haven't dived for about 2 months...

;-0

It's so sad, and very hard, for someone that 2 years ago had an average of 4 dives a day.

Sounds like you've got some pretty amazing cold medicine over there! Glad you'll get to dive!

Ber :bunny:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom