need best second stage regs for shallow dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

puk00puk00

Reaction score
Here’s a classic concern but I can’t find concise answers to my questions in any old threads, so here’s a new post to stir the pot again… I’m sure many newbies will benefit from your response and opinions

I have several questions about the appropriate second stage regs / octos for shallow reef-edge (to 20 feet) rec diving… I have zero interest in expanding the diving to deeper or colder water.

Dive application/use:

shallow dives ONLY, max 20 feet
warm water, hawaii
shell collecting only, just a little fishing
need low-cost second stages/octos
all other gear already gifted to us; used, mixed brands
ust need second stage
Presently leaning towards Apeks AT20 no breathing adjustments or Zeagle zx octo (deluxe Envoy) with breating adjust or Dive Rite 1200.

Questions:

<sum> Is there much detectable breathing effort difference between low cost ($100) second stage regs at 20 feet?

<sum> Do “ breathing effort adjustments” on 2nd stages make any difference at 20 ft.

<sum> Is there much detectable (breath easy) difference between adjustable "primary second stage" and safe simple octo performance at 20 feet?

<sum> Any suggestions for a few brand choices if you feel some differences exist?

<sum> Prime reason for the three brands in my mind is easy of diy service; I am isolated geographically (Molokai) and want the assurance of knowing the job was done correctly… I have downloaded all the manuals and everything seems as simple as overhauling a firearm or carburetor.
Dive application/use: Questions:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom