Need authentic local food in cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Although the Habanero chili used in Cozumel cooking is pretty hot, some of the ethnic restaurants (Satureja Indian on 7th, and some of the Filipino/Indonesian places) have hotter dishes, if you ask.

. . .
2) Which place serves the hottest(spicy) dishes in the island?

. . .

I don't know the answer, but it does bring to mind what I like to tell myself about Mexican food: it's all about the salsas. No two places make the exact same salsas. The same dish with two different salsas is like two different dishes. You could have the same dish with a fiery salsa and a mild salsa. So maybe the question is "which place has the most picante salsa?" From what I have been able to tell, the habanero is the chile of choice in the Yucatan, so rest assured you will have no trouble finding the heat you desire.

p.s. That's odd--El Grad's post wasn't visible to me when I wrote that. Guess I needed to refresh the page.

Although the Habanero chili used in Cozumel cooking is pretty hot, some of the ethnic restaurants (Satureja Indian on 7th, and some of the Filipino/Indonesian places) have hotter dishes, if you ask.
I've gotta say that the hot sauce they put out in little dishes at La Perlita is possibly the hottest I have ever encountered. I touched a corner of a chip to it once and touched the chip to my tongue and it was like hitting my tongue with a hot soldering iron. It burned for half an hour.

Hottest pico I find regularly is at El Foco, on 5 between 5&7. It's sooo hot and sooo good I just can't stop eating it.

If you want hot, ask for Xnipec. It is the old, authentic, homemade, hot sauce that graced all the tables in Cozumel before the demands of tourists and immigrants to Cozumel pushed it aside for salsas and other mixtures. Xnipec is chopped simply chopped habanero peppers, salt and and a bit of juice from the bitter limon.

Once I check in, I shower and have a light meal at the hotel, then try to stay up as long as I can, usually only managing to make it until around 5:00PM, Spain time.

Honestly, I would probably go to the hotel and pass out for at least four hours. Then, I would be on the schedule of eating dinner at 9:00 PM to start. It would bug me a little bit that I couldn't get breakfast (even at McDonald's) at around 8:00 AM (closed). If I don't worry about getting lie flat seats, then I can get reasonable ffm tickets to Madrid.

Thx you da man! I saved all your suggestions man....

2 more:

1) Now is there a spot where I can get Jerk chicken, Costa rican casado or even any Belize style stew and rice?
2) Which place serves the hottest(spicy) dishes in the island?

BTW I will also ferry across to Playa once … if there's any there...

kris
Not really a big thing in Coz.

Honestly, I would probably go to the hotel and pass out for at least four hours. Then, I would be on the schedule of eating dinner at 9:00 PM to start. It would bug me a little bit that I couldn't get breakfast (even at McDonald's) at around 8:00 AM (closed).

Have you ever tried that? I did. It didn't work for me. I tried various ways over the dozens of times I flew to Europe. The system I outlined was the end result of a lot of experiments and was the only one that ended up working for me every time.

Breakfast at 6am, 7am, 8am and later are no problem in Spain if you know where to go. Funny enough, McDonalds is not a good option for breakfast, but they do serve wine in their locations in Spain for lunch and dinner!

Best ceviche in cozumel guys ?!

If you want hot, ask for Xnipec. It is the old, authentic, homemade, hot sauce that graced all the tables in Cozumel before the demands of tourists and immigrants to Cozumel pushed it aside for salsas and other mixtures. Xnipec is chopped simply chopped habanero peppers, salt and and a bit of juice from the bitter limon.
Thank you I did not know its proper name and always refer to it ‘Habanero’ sauce. I like it on my Cochinita Torta in the morning before diving. I make a fresh batch at home every week or so. It is very hot and I use it sparingly but it also has a good distinct flavor that is not only good raw but great for cooking.

I use a small food processor to chop it and my wife makes me do it in the garage or outside. If you breath the fumes when you turn on the processor it’s like being pepper sprayed.:eek:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom