Need authentic local food in cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miserkris

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Need suggestions for authentic local food in cozumel please. I'm a spice fan and authentic food enthusiast.

I need suggestions in san miguel....in town.
Breakfast, lunch and dinner. I don't care about ambiance...

Thx

Los Otates: get the pozole and the tacos Al Pastor.

Authentic and local?

Grab some tuchitos at El Chino Marentes on 20 Avenida. This is not the same as El Chino Marinero II on the same street past the Mercado Municipal. You're not likely to get more authentic or local than that.

Go on Facebook and order some tamales colados or horneados for delivery.

Get some roasted chicken from any of a number of places. I like El Pechugón because of the potatoes they cook under the roasting chickens.

Corazón Contento is a great place for breakfast judging by the number of authentic locals waiting for tables most of the time.

La Cozumeleña is a good place to get a club sandwich for breakfast (which is a very popular local delicacy) or perhaps some enchiladas. I like the Jarochas, personally.

On Sunday mornings, track down Barbacoa Los Magüeyes for barbacoa de borrego, which is all the have and the only time they're open.

Further authentic and local food:

Tacos Arabes (there's such a long history of Lebanese food in this part of Mexico that "kibis" are considered local and shawarma is the likely inspiration for tacos de trompo, often known as "al pastor").

Taquería Díaz 100% has good tacos de cabeza. Also good tacos al pastor and arrachera.

Los Nopales, which has tortillas a mano and my favorite piña con chaya as well as ridiculously over-topped pizzas and generally preposterous portion sizes.

Nando's Hotdogs, a local tradition. I get the Especial con crunchy y rajas, which is actually too many toppings.

Get a huarache and an avena con leche at Los Chilangos.

Carnitas Días on 30 Av. has really good carnitas from giant copper kettles, but closes by midday.

Forgive my ignorance of Mexican food (especially given the number of Mexican restaurants near me), but I have tried Googling a number of the dishes you mentioned without success. What are tamales colados or horneados and Jarochas?

When I visited Panama, there was a dish of Carne Ropa Vieja with the translation of "meat old clothes" underneath. While it was delicious, all I could think of was Lady Gaga.

OP, also keep in mind that some Cozumel restaurateurs may hail from parts of Mexico far from the Yucatán, such as Mexico City, Guadalajara, etc., and their food may be authentically Mexican but not authentically local. It’s all good, though. My guess is your goal is not specifically to seek out Yucatecan food but rather simply to avoid the more Tex-Mex concoctions that we all know and love in the US. Am I correct? If so, easy to do, though it’s worth adding that plenty of Mexicans love that kind of food, too. There are probably some good burritos to be had, and the style may very well straddle the border. I wouldn’t turn down an otherwise awesome burrito just because it’s not native to that part of Mexico.

Where do authentic locals eat?

Well, you might be surprised at how many head for Burger King, Dominos, or Hooters. I suspect that may not be what you're asking, though.

Keep in mind that breakfast is usually a sandwich or a couple of tacos.

One place for morning tacos is the El Sitio on Calle 2 not far from the taxi syndicate offices. The shrimp taco places (El Camarón Dorado, El Chino Marinero II, etc.) do a lot of breakfast business and close by early afternoon.

You can get empanadas de cazón, panuchos, and salbutes at El Resbalón, which is only open in the morning. It's sort of behind Empanadas Los 3 Patitos, which is not as good a place to get empanadas.

We hit up Tamarindos every Saturday morning for their lechón al horno, which is amazing on tacos. Other days they do great cochinita pibil and their relleno negro is good.

The big meal is in the mid to late afternoon. If locals eat out, they may head to Las Palmas (on 25 Av.), La Conchita del Caribe, St. Chuck's Fish Shack (Pescadería San Carlos), or one of many cocinas económicas.

La Choza is usually packed with locals in the late afternoon, after tourist lunch and before tourist supper, for their amazing lunch specials.

El Súper Hit, of which there are 2 along 30 Avenida, has lots of traditional yucatecan dishes such as queso relleno, relleno negro, sopa de lima, etc.

Be aware of dishes associated with days of the week, such as frijol con puerco on Mondays or mondongo on Sundays.

El Muellecito may seem touristy, but it's a great place for tacos and tostadas, especially tacos that are locally hard to find, such as gobernador, del tio, cochitaco, or torito.

Local food is not usually particularly spicy, apart from the xni-pek.

I can't say how authentic it is, but visit La Pealita for some lionfish. The owner hunts it himself, it's delicious, and it helps cull this pest.

I have found that "authentic" varies somewhat between the West coast and the East coast. Generally speaking, if the restaurant is full of gringos then I expect the food to be Americanized. I have, however, been pleasantly surprised when I was wrong. One of our favorite places that is close to town is La Candela on Av 5 y Calle 6 N. The signs outside are all in Spanish but I think the menu is in English/Spanish, if I remember correctly. Don't forget to ask for jamaica with your meal (unless you don't like jamaica :wink: ).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom