Need advise on purchasing a budget reg.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also check out the latest Rodale's regulator review for some guidance. I know many people on this board think Rodale's reviews are biased, but I tend to believe they offer a lot of information.

One of the more moderately priced regulators that did get a "Testers Choice" is one that I own: Oceanic Gamma 2. I bought this regulator months ago for my wife and can attest to its performance. It breathes *very* well at depth, is very comfortable, and is supposedly very reliable. I highly recommend it.

Thx...Doug

What is your price range? Where you buy the equipment can make an enourmous difference. Looking at the MSRP a certain reg may be outside your price range. However, if you buy it from LeisurePro or happen to find it in a shop that is clearing out last years stock to make room for newer merchandise you might find a nice high performace reg that falls within your budget.

My first reg (1st and 2nd stage) cost less than $300 from Leisurepro although the MSRP was nearly twice that amount.

I've looked at the local shops around here and they only seem interested in trying to sell the high end regs. I think the only way I can afford to buy a reg set-up is to buy online.

As for the price range I am trying to stay in, I would like to stay around or under $200 for the primary first and second.

Thank you for all the responces. I guess it now comes down to where I can find them the cheapest.

I think the best deal going is the ScubaPro Mk2/R380. Received a perfect score from Roadales recently. $300.00 or less.

As the divenet.com's regulator test showed, the Oceanic Alpha 7 won it straight out. Rodales also gives that regulator high marks.

clindt once bubbled...
I've looked at the local shops around here and they only seem interested in trying to sell the high end regs. I think the only way I can afford to buy a reg set-up is to buy online.

You telling me, I went to a scuba shop and inquired about regs, they asked if I dive in local NE quarry, I said sometimes, then he said thermocline and 50 deg temp. He then tells me the only regulator that will work are the $700 Apex and Scubapro.

As for the price range I am trying to stay in, I would like to stay around or under $200 for the primary first and second.

Thank you for all the responces. I guess it now comes down to where I can find them the cheapest. [/B]

As you probably know by now, Leisurepro probably has these the cheapest. They have the Alpha 7 for $139, even if you go with the balanced 1st stage, it is still under $200.

Alpha 7 but with the CDX first stage. Not the piston type first stage.

This reg apparently breathes so effortlessly that testers felt it was like they did not even have a reg in their mouth. Can't remember the write up I saw..... can probably find the link.
But I remember all of the divers that tested it loved it. If I had not gotten my ATX200 online for $330.00..... I would have probably gone with that reg ($175.00 range online). Just be sure you get the non piston first stage.

Here is the link... found it. Looks to be the same link as mentioned in the previous post.
Regs tested under $200

For those who don't want to go to the link...:

Here are the comments.

First impressions: There are four mp ports and nice hose protectors on the piston-type first stage. The second stage is attractive, easy to reassemble after cleaning and has a very nice demand-lever mechanism with a roller bearing. It is not over-designed. Very neat.
Under water:

Diver#1 - "A nice, easy breathe. It delivered air smoothly, without the sudden rush. Very soft and smooth. You hardly notice you're breathing. Silky, velvet-like, silent. I appreciated the compact and light second stage. Excellent. A pure delight. Probably the best regulator tested."
Diver #2 - "Excellent. No effort. It was light in the mouth. Head-down it was OK too. Streets ahead of the others."
Diver #3 - "OK. Good. Comfortable. Pleasant. You can easily forget you're breathing through a valve. Every time I used it, my thoughts were confirmed. Among some other good valves, this was the best."
Diver #4 - "Outstandingly smooth. Others seemed far less smooth when I switched from this one. The most natural breathe, with an exact response to demand. A treat to breathe from. It seems a cut above the rest."

Inverted: Almost dry.
What the machine said: An almost perfect result, as the profile reflects. Work of breathing at 51m was 1.68J/litre (limit=3.0 J/litre). Remarkable!

"As time went by, however, it became clear that one regulator stood out from the others. When it came to a leisure dive on the last day, with a single tank and regulator, everyone wanted to use the £143 Oceanic Alpha 7."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom