Need advice with BP/W selection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay, I'm going to go ahead a get a BP/W setup but the choices have my head spinning. I like the looks/features of the Golem, DSS, and DiveRite products. I'm going to Aruba in 2 months so I'll be able to get a few dives in to test the gear out but it will be in cold water with a dry suit. Essentially my primary concerns are adaptability, comfort and user-friendliness/simplicity. Would spending a little extra for a harness such as the DSS Pro-Fit or the DiveRite Transplate versus the cheaper Hogarthian Harnesses be worth it, making it easier/quicker to adjust when I go warm water diving wearing a 3mm wet suit?

I've seen lots of references to STA (Single Tank Adapters). It appears the DSS Backplate and the DSS Wing don't require an STA. Is this a significant benefit or is it actually better to use a setup that requires an STA? I couldn't really tell if the Golem or DiveRite setups require an STA for single tank diving?

Regarding having a SS BP for cold water dry suit dives and an ALU BP for warm water, is the additional cost to purchase two backplates really going to be worth it considering I really don't dive that much? If the benefit of taking the ALU on travel is just 3 or 4 pounds less weight in my bag, that seems like not much of a benefit. Seems like have to wear no weight belt or very little weights with an SS BP in warm water would be preferable or is there another benefit of using the ALU BP in warm water I'm missing?

Essentially I don't dive a lot so I don't need the fanciest, most durable setup. But I would spend a little extra for a setup that is easier to setup/use/adjust and offers better flexibility going from cold water to warm water diving.

I assume a 30 lb wing would be a good choice for a Single tank setup for cold and warm water. Then when I start diving twins, purchase a separate 50 lb wing?

Thanks for the advice. I guess essentially I'm asking what's the best bang for the buck BP/W setup for somone who dive 50% cold, 50% warm and is new to BP/W and doesn't dive that often (10-30 times a year)? I know everyone has their favorite brand but I'm having a tough time distinguishing who has the better setup (for my needs) for the money between Golem, DSS, and DiveRite?

jc2,

You might want to check some of the previous threads on bp/w for that info but if you wanted my opinion, here goes:
If want a system that's already assembled, get a DSS rig http://deepseasupply.com/page12.html with the cheaper hog harness, you will save $50
If you are like me in that you like to get the best bang for the buck of everythingl and are willing to shop around a bit then:

Oxycheq #30 Signature wing + a #50 signature wing for doubles.
Hammerhead or OMS Alu plate, SS plate for cold water diving
Hammerhead or OMS STA with SS cam bands
Hog harness with 4 D, 2 Bent D and a soft crotch strap.

Check out this thread for more info:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=126509

Cheers,

SangP

Thanks Sang. Been reading like crazy and that thread was one I read. Definitely for the amount of diving I do, getting the expensive DSS or Halcyon stuff is just not justified considering the cost. I definitely go with the Hammerhed BPs. I'm still a little confused about the necessity to use the Alu plate for warm water. Should I just use the same SS STA on the Alu for warm water or should I also buy the 2-piece lightweight STA to go with the ALU BP for warm water? Or would it be better to stick with just the SS BP and get the SS STA for cold and the 2-piece lightweight for warm? I hate all this duplication of components but I guess they're not that expensive.

The other main thing I'm curious about is sitting on the dive boat trying to adjust the Hog Harness to my 3mm Shorty after using it on my dry suit setup. If it's not a pain, then no biggie, but if it is, then what's the next best/cheapest harness that is more easily adjustable - the DiveRite Deluxe with Quick Release or is that no more easier to adjust that a simply Hog Harnes?

Hey man i would go with a Golem gear combo, Jakub at golem gear is really nice and makes everything happen. Great service ima buy there again when i have money of course www.golemgear.com
Cheer chris

Hi jc2,

I guess that you would have been reading like crazy too and I would think the DSS was a cheap rig cosidering what comes with it, $450 ain't that bad considering that you might pay more for a regular bc.

I was checking around with my friend at Samish divers (samishdivers.com) and the SS plate system with a 40 lbs oxycheq wing is bout $464.

I wouldn't recommend skimping on a bc as the importance of proper trim and buoyancy cannot be overstated, that and the joy you get when you are finally able to remain horizontal priceless!

You don't really need to get an al plate for warm waters, but it's more suitable as you travel lighter to these destinations, but it isn't a necessity.

You'll probably stick with a hog harness eventually and all you need to do for cold and warm dives is first measure the harness on the spots where the retainers are when you are using cold weather gear and then mark the spots where the strap are after wearing a wet suit... really no biggie but it takes getting use to and practice.

Why don't you have a word with my friend Kelly Jewett at Samishdivers or Jakub at www.golemgear.com I too found Tobin to be a real help.

Honestly you would most likely would aquire 2 rigs for cold and warm water diving as it is really not much more and is so hassle free.

If you wanna budget solution, here is what I would recommend:

Get a wing from either Samish divers, gollem or any online shop... either an #30 oxycheq signature or #35 golem. Don't get a wing from ebay as you don't know the condition of it.

Plate:
Check Ebay for a set of SS plates, do a search of plate or backplate under scuba, snorkeling. There is a bunch available from OMS, Halcyon and other companies.
If you can't get them from ebay get a Hammerhead ss plate with a 2 piece STA and harness:
http://www.hammerheadscuba.com/pricepoint.htm

All you now need are cam bands and these are cheap if you want them in plastic and a get soft 2' strap bout 5' long cus the hammerhead strap isn't suited for a crouch strap LOL!

Strange thing in that if you worked out the cost of getting things in bits you might be only sightly less then if you gotten the entire rig from either Samish, Golem or Tobin LOL!

Go bug them for a discount if possible just in case :D

Happy hunting... whew!

SangP

Btw, I believe most of the guys would agree that it's best to buy right the first time and you won't regret it... trust me.

jc2:
Okay, I'm going to go ahead a get a BP/W setup but the choices have my head spinning. I like the looks/features of the Golem, DSS, and DiveRite products. I'm going to Aruba in 2 months so I'll be able to get a few dives in to test the gear out but it will be in cold water with a dry suit. Essentially my primary concerns are adaptability, comfort and user-friendliness/simplicity. Would spending a little extra for a harness such as the DSS Pro-Fit or the DiveRite Transplate versus the cheaper Hogarthian Harnesses be worth it, making it easier/quicker to adjust when I go warm water diving wearing a 3mm wet suit?

I've seen lots of references to STA (Single Tank Adapters). It appears the DSS Backplate and the DSS Wing don't require an STA. Is this a significant benefit or is it actually better to use a setup that requires an STA? I couldn't really tell if the Golem or DiveRite setups require an STA for single tank diving?

Regarding having a SS BP for cold water dry suit dives and an ALU BP for warm water, is the additional cost to purchase two backplates really going to be worth it considering I really don't dive that much? If the benefit of taking the ALU on travel is just 3 or 4 pounds less weight in my bag, that seems like not much of a benefit. Seems like have to wear no weight belt or very little weights with an SS BP in warm water would be preferable or is there another benefit of using the ALU BP in warm water I'm missing?

Essentially I don't dive a lot so I don't need the fanciest, most durable setup. But I would spend a little extra for a setup that is easier to setup/use/adjust and offers better flexibility going from cold water to warm water diving.

I assume a 30 lb wing would be a good choice for a Single tank setup for cold and warm water. Then when I start diving twins, purchase a separate 50 lb wing?

Thanks for the advice. I guess essentially I'm asking what's the best bang for the buck BP/W setup for somone who dive 50% cold, 50% warm and is new to BP/W and doesn't dive that often (10-30 times a year)? I know everyone has their favorite brand but I'm having a tough time distinguishing who has the better setup (for my needs) for the money between Golem, DSS, and DiveRite?

If you'll be traveling with your rig, you really may want to consider an aluminum BP-especially with the airline weight restrictions.

jc2:
Would spending a little extra for a harness such as the DSS Pro-Fit or the DiveRite Transplate versus the cheaper Hogarthian Harnesses be worth it, making it easier/quicker to adjust when I go warm water diving wearing a 3mm wet suit?

Hogarthian Harnesses are widely adjustable, it's just that they can be more difficult to adjust. The webbing tends to take a "set" and that makes small adjustment hard. OTOH, depending on how different your two exposure suits are you may not need to adjust it much.

jc2:

Many people will recommend a seperate STA. Why? This is most often because many previous "Sta-Less" or "built in STAs" did not work very well. The solution we offer is very very secure. STA's are an extra pieces to buy, carry etc. STA's for the most part work fine, but they do raise the profile of the tanks, and they need to be unbolted to remove and service the wing.

jc2:

My previous point about SS and light weight plates is this. For cold water one of the key benefits of a SS plate is the weight over your lungs. For travel to warm water you may not want this weight, or even need it. Lighter weight is nice for airline weight restrictions. Can you use a SS plate in warm water? Of course. Do people travel wih them? All the time. If I had to pick one plate it would be the SS. I frequently talk to folks who want to buy a Kydex for travel and plan to add weight to their belt for cold water use. This will not help their trim in cold water.

jc2:

You will want a dedicated single tank wing, and a second for doubles. Wing lift is primarily a function of exposure suit. I'd need to know more about your configuration to make a wing lift recommendation, but you got a good starting point.

Regards,

Tobin

rapidiver:
If you'll be traveling with your rig, you really may want to consider an aluminum BP-especially with the airline weight restrictions.

But that's only going to make about 3.5 pounds difference. Are you assuming I also use the lighter two-piece STA which is 3+ pounds lighter than the 1 piece STA, or should I just get the one piece STA to use with both the SS and the ALU BPs?

What about the LCD Wings on the DSS site. Would they work well with the Hammerhead BPs? It states the singles wings don't need an STA. What that be a better choice to go with the Hammerhead BP eliminate having to use an STA if I'm just using the wing for singles and it is only a little more expensive than the Oxycheck wing?

I saw a statement that crotch straps don't work with the Hammerhead BPs. Is this true and if so is it much of a concern? How important is the crotch strap. I though a read a few people that don't like diving with them but they improve the fit.

RICHinNC:
What kind of diving are you going to do?? Going a mile deep with 200 extra tanks hanging off of you??? If so...you might really consider the one piece webbing. Doing simple rec diving and like the idea of adjustable harnesses??

I have a Transplate with the Rec wing and adjustable harness. I will never visit the Titanic and hang bottle after bottle on me so the adj harness works for me. I use a stainless steel plate and take the weight out of my pouches.

Personally, I think Halcyon is good...but way over priced when you can get a full rig from DiveRite for $449. (see www.northeastscubasupply.com).

good luck and let us know how you went
rich

I agree with all of that and dive the same. I always like to remind people that no matter what you buy, you WILL have fun diving with it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom