Need advice with BP/W selection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi sharpenu,

I know what you mean, love at first dive, only problem is the darn thing's my girl's! I'm using a somewhat overhyped Halcyon eclipse Wahhhh!!! If only I knew bout oxycheq b4 I paid for my halcyon.... wahhhhhh!

SangP

I want to close the thread by first thanking everyone who helped. It took me a long time to decide (obviously) and save the money but I ended up buying a DSS Kydex plate with a 20 lbs wing and their harness.
I am neutral with it and no weights and I am very satisfied with both the excellent services and communicaton from Tobin (DSS) and the quality of the rig.

Thanks,
JL

I say go with an Golem 35lbs Combo Single Rig, Its unreal jakub is a big help, Owns and he is really NICE!!!. I just bought one and its really nice, heavy duty, light and my god its sexy. PM me if you have any questions on this rig
cheers chris

Hi homo maris,

Please keep update us of the performance of the DSS rig since, I'm real interested in the durability, stability of the Kydex plate.

Best regards,

SangP

I'm a rec diver that may do some "light" tech diving ocassionally (twins, deep dives, etc.) and my Instructor friend recommended I get a Stainless Steel Backplate and then buy the strap material to make my own harness with. He said it works great and can accomodate all kinds of setups and is economical. I could see using it diving in cold water with my dry suite and all my clothing underneath, but wouldn't this kind of setup be uncomfortable in warm water diving when you are wearing a very thin shorty or even sometimes nothing at all on top if it is really warm? I need a setup that work well for both applications.

Hi jc2,

No problems or should I say it's even more comfortable in any diving conditions. If you notice my location, I live in sunny, tropical singapore. The most I ever need is a 3mm suit and a bp/w wing is perfect in these conditions. Ever seen the movie Into The Blue LOL!!!

Most of my buddies use the bp/w setup in the first place due to these reasons:
Light enough and easy to pack.
Perfectly stable.... yada yada yada, I'm sure you can do a search to find all the reasons for a bp/w.

The only thing I would say about a tropical setup is forget the SS, get a Alu or Kydex plate cus you won't need that much weighting in the first place although a SS plate will mean you won't even need weights!

For a drysuit setup or cold water dive, you will rather get a SS plate.

Pm me if you want my opinions.

Cheers,

SangP

jc2:
I could see using it diving in cold water with my dry suite and all my clothing underneath, but wouldn't this kind of setup be uncomfortable in warm water diving when you are wearing a very thin shorty or even sometimes nothing at all on top if it is really warm? I need a setup that work well for both applications.

Sangp has it right. Warm conditions will likely require a light weight plate. Unfortunately there is no one plate that's best for all conditions. Cold water means buoyant exposure suits, and the weight of a SS backplate is a real benefit. It puts weight up over your buoyant lungs.

Warm water means a lot less ballast, and a light weight plate is a benefit, plus it helps for reducing weight during travel.

It's not really a comfort issue. Backplates are typically very comfortable.

Regards,

Tobin

SangP:
Hi homo maris,

Please keep update us of the performance of the DSS rig since, I'm real interested in the durability, stability of the Kydex plate.

Best regards,

SangP

So far it has one pool dive on it so comments are minimal. I will use it soon diving remote reefs in April and then in Coz.

I can only tell you the following observations so far:

Constructions
1. The plate is very well constructed and does not look fragile
2. It comes with a sticker warning about leaving it in the sun (makes sense)
3. The vertical tank rib is reinforced with steel
4. It is a clone of their metal plate

Use
1. The plate bends slightly when the wings are inflated. You can feel that against your back. It slightly tightens the harness at the shoulders. I like it as it is a nice feedback that the wing is full.
2. I feel that the plate has less inertia and that up/down boyancy transitions are almost instant.
3. Very comfortable (I have a 1mm suit).

Hope that helps,

JL

Actually I'm neutral in sea water with my SS plate and a shorty; with the 3mil I need a couple of pounds. And weight on the plate is ideally located between the wing and your lungs, the two primary sources of buoyancy, resulting in ideal trim and control. The only possible diving advantage I would see in a lightweight plate would be if you're overweighted with the steel plate, or if your legs are buoyant enough to cause trim problems with the steel plate. For me that would occur in fresh water with no wetsuit, but I almost never dive in those conditions. Another possibility would be warm water diving with a big steel tank; that could put you negative or top heavy with a steel plate. But, since I dive almost exclusively with AL80s, the steel plate works great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom