Need advice/suggestions For Aruba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Indybob

Reaction score
My girlfriend and I have completed our OW pool/classroom training in the
frozen North. We will be completing our certification dives in St Thomas
and Barbados during the first week of March. We will be certified (although
not experienced) when we arrive in Aruba.

Hence, we are looking for a good dive operation which will fit our level of
experience. Suggestions, comments, recommendations, all appreciated.

Thanks

I used "Red Sail" while I was there... I didn't notice a big difference between the shops.

The diving on Aruba is good, but I have had better (I can say that about many things, it seems...) Of course, you have to dive the Hilma Hooker. Unfortunately, so does everyone else. My dad dove it about 3 months ago and said that it was becoming devoid of life...Maybe he just got there on a bad day...

The airplane wreck is nice, too. But for a fun few hours in the water, take all your gear, rent some tanks and go to Baby Beach. It is a protected bay about a couple of football fields big and is really pretty shallow throughout (three feet or so)...EXCEPT in the channel to the sea where you can do some pretty nice snorkeling. Then grab your tanks and go out the channel (if the seas are calm) and drop down. Very nice...

I also brought some ropes and climbed the cliffs near the prison (near, but not too near baby beach). Some of the routes are set up for top roping so that was fun...

Also, I would suggest taking a jeep and/or horse tour of the island because you need to see the natural bridge (which you can dive - see shorediving.com for more info I think).

Also you have to swim in the natural pool. It is hard to find on your own and I don't think they allow jeeps there any more...

Do a search on Red Sail & see what everyone has to say. IMHO they would be at the bottom of the list. They run a cattleboat & cater to the cruise ship crowd. Being newly certified - this might not be a good thing for you.
I used Native Diver www.nativedivers.com and had an excellent experience.

Check out the Antilla Wreck (WWII German Freighter) & the Debbie II. When I was there the current was VERY strong at the plane wreck. We had to cancel one of our 2nd dives & never did get to see the sharks on the other side of the island during our week stay. We did get to do a shore dive at night which was great, except for the mosquitos as we geared up. You may have better luck, the ocean was unusually rough & it was super windy.

Kat:
Do a search on Red Sail & see what everyone has to say. IMHO they would be at the bottom of the list. They run a cattleboat & cater to the cruise ship crowd. Being newly certified - this might not be a good thing for you.
I used Native Diver www.nativedivers.com and had an excellent experience.

Check out the Antilla Wreck (WWII German Freighter) & the Debbie II. When I was there the current was VERY strong at the plane wreck. We had to cancel one of our 2nd dives & never did get to see the sharks on the other side of the island during our week stay. We did get to do a shore dive at night which was great, except for the mosquitos as we geared up. You may have better luck, the ocean was unusually rough & it was super windy.

We have used Pelican a number of times they are hard to beat

Sorry... Bonaire on the Brain (two months ago and still thinking about it all the time...)

I meant the Antilla, which someone else mentioned as 'the must do dive...'

Petti "I better retire soon" fogger

I agree with the other posts. Found Aruba to be more wrecks than reefs - so enjoy them for what they are. Definitely do one of the jeep tours that takes you to the hidden pool. Basically, you get to beat the crap out of someone else's vehicle for a few hours on rugged terrain and then give the jeeps back to them. YOu drive over rocks etc. that you'd never do with your own vehicle without having to worry about breaking something! One tip - the tours have you going in a straight line column so everyone behind the first guy in line eats dust. Don't be timid. We had more fun once we figured out that it was ok to zip around a little instead of being like a column of ants. Don't be crazy or stupid and respect your tour guide but do have fun.

Aruba is a very nice place for overall diving. It is rated about third best in the world for wreck diving. Regular diving is good though and you should enjoy. I hooked with a smaller dive company. His name is Clive. He was the most hospitable person. You would enjoy his dives. Give him a look and see.

We've contacted Clive and made a reservation for a two tank trip on
March 5th.

Thanks for all the recommendations.

Indybob:
My girlfriend and I have completed our OW pool/classroom training in the
frozen North. We will be completing our certification dives in St Thomas
and Barbados during the first week of March. We will be certified (although
not experienced) when we arrive in Aruba.

Hence, we are looking for a good dive operation which will fit our level of
experience. Suggestions, comments, recommendations, all appreciated.

Thanks

I am going to Aruba on March 6th thru the 13th. I always dive with Dive Aruba when I am there. Clive is a great DM. Are you going to be there for the week? We will be a group of 4 divers and diving Monday thru Fri. Maybe we will see you there?

Have a great trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom