Need advice: planning first dive trip to Asia May 2013!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dom Perignon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

I'm planning a 3 week scuba diving trip to Asia this May and need advice on what places to dive and possible itineraries. If you can spare some recommendations for dive shops and accomodation that would be great too.

I've been reading a lot on SB and diving sites and the following sound amazing:

Indonesia » Raja Ampat + Lembeh strait + Bali
Malaysia » Sipadan + Sabah + Borneo
Thailand » Surin Islands

I'm wondering if I should stick to one area or perhaps try to string 2+ in the same trip. Also not sure about weather & diving conditions at that time of year.

Here's some info:

AOW with almost 150 dives and all gear.
Really into UW photography (Sealife DC1200) and nightdives.
Looking for UW diversity, small and big.
Places with good snorkelling are a plus.

Traveling solo (prefer smaller groups to schools of divers)
On a limited budget (as long as it's clean and safe, and don't mind the rest).

Not into wrecks (unless teeming with life).
Not into caves (unless wide open).
Liveaboard? Never tried, I would like to try a short run if I could find an affordable one :)no:). Will have to get a 'seasickness' patch though.

Past destinations were: Roatan RHR, Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Cuba.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Have a look at the Philippines. I have dived out of Dumaguete and it had plenty to offer for photographers. Anything from turtles to macro. Heaps of frogfish too!

Tapatalk 2

Thailand » Surin Islands

I'm wondering if I should stick to one area or perhaps try to string 2+ in the same trip. Also not sure about weather & diving conditions at that time of year.

Traveling solo (prefer smaller groups to schools of divers)
On a limited budget (as long as it's clean and safe, and don't mind the rest).
LIMITED budget!!
The best place to spend 3 wks of diving is the Visayas region in Philippines.

Indeed quite neat, thanks for the info. Do you know of any good dive resorts that are not too expensive in Dumagete?

I'm planning a 3 week scuba diving trip to Asia this May and need advice on what places to dive and possible itineraries. If you can spare some recommendations for dive shops and accomodation that would be great too.

Thailand » Surin Islands

It sort of depends on what you mean by "limited budget." If you mean you're willing to spend what it takes but don't want to be extravagant, you could do more than one destination, but the places you've listed are all spread out, and that pops the cost up due to airfares. So, for example, combining Raja Ampat/Lembeh/Bali with Sipadan would necessitate three to six more flights, depending on your routing (i.e., Bali to Kuala Lumpur to Tawau or Bali to Singapore to Kota Kinabalu to Tawau, etc.). If you've got the time, the funds, and the wish for adventure, I see no reason not to do two destinations. However, it's worth saying that three weeks will fly right by with no time to spare just on the Indonesia itinerary since you've really identified three very different destinations within the country. It would be too much for the Malaysia itinerary unless you plan to do a lot of land-based activities like hiking in addition to diving at Sipadan.

Additional thoughts:
1) Forget the Surin Islands. The national park closes to visitors May 1.
2) The Indonesia itinerary you listed (Raja Ampat/Lembeh/Bali) will be more expensive than the Malaysia one.
3) For a Malaysia itinerary, consider adding Layang Layang to Sipadan, time permitting. You get to Layang Layang by way of Kota Kinabalu, so the travel routing is manageable.
4) You could consider a trip to the Philippines in May. There are several areas you can visit in the PI, and you could dedicate part of your three weeks to two or three areas. (I've got a customer there right now on a 70-day trip starting north and going south and visiting 8 places). May is a good time to go to Tubbataha, though that requires a liveaboard, and you seem to prefer land-based options. Tubba trips tend to take one week, which would leave you with two weeks to explore a couple of other PI destinations.

For Dumaguete try Liquid resort... Also check out Scuba Junkie for Sipadan... Both nice friendly dive centres...

+1 for Liquid.

Bohol, Dumaguete and Malapascua(thrasher shark) would make a memorable 3 wks diving trip. May is also the low season in the country so plenty of choices for accommodation etc.

Diving inThailind is good but not out of this world! If you have a limited budget and your not interested in what Thailand has to offer above the sea I´ll give it a pass. Similan Islands the worst rip off in diving world (Includind Surin), diving is terrible and expensive (pure propaganda). A must do in Asia Sipadan Island, Raja Ampat (expensive and difficult to get there), Bali and Kodomo. Philippines is great but many destinations and apart one from each other (you´ll need a whole trip just for philippines). A good choice is Sipadan Island + Philippines and save the rest for another trip (you can then include Thailand).

I would either combine Bali (do tulumben and Nusa lembongan) with lembeh, or do Philippines and combine southern Leyte with Cebu and bohol.

Back
Top Bottom