First dive trip to Asia - recommendations on an easy learning experience?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Smit

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm planing on retiring in the not too distant future and I'd like to plan a trip to Asia. I've made about 400 dives in a number of places in the Caribbean and I've enjoyed both the diving and the culture but I really want to see different marine life and enjoy the culture of a different part of the world.

Any thoughts on a good "starter" destination? Something relatively easy to get to, good diving, good cultural experiences, good food. I've read about home stays being a good, affordable option in some parts of the world. Or would staying at a resort be a smart thing for a first time traveler looking to learn the ropes?

I'm open to just about everything. Phillipines, Thailand, Bali, Indonesia, or maybe a few of those places. Once you get there so many places are close.

Thanks for any advice offered. :)

Thailand is by far the most visited country in SE Asia and with good reasons. Culture and food as well as accessibility to neighbouring countries eg. Cambodia, Laos and Malaysia(I leave out Burma). AFAIC, the best diving is on the West coast around Koh Lanta and Phuket(Similan LoB) but it is seasonal from mid Oct to early May. The country is compact enough for easy hassle free travelling.

Malaysia: The diving season for the East coast of the Peninsular is from Mar to Oct.
If you plan it carefully you can easily link up Malaysia and Thailand with no back trekking!!! Phuket - Koh Lanta - Koh Lipe - Perhentian Islands, Redang, Tenggol, Tioman and exit to Singapore. From Singapore you have the choice of Indonesia or Philippines at your door step.

Philippines: There is non stop direct flight from LAX/SFO to Manila. Anilao(macro) is 3 hrs away(land) and Puerto Galera is just across the channel. There are many more to choose from if you fly to Cebu City. English is widely spoken but the food is lousy.

Indonesia: Bali and its surrounding offer very good diving and easy travelling. The best is at Komodo and Raja Ampat and if you like macro then Lembeh.

The good "starter"destination in SE Asia is THAILAND. And the Kingdom is offering 45 days no visa entry to certain nationals from 01st Oct 2022 onward.

Have a nice one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom