need advice on xdeep dive computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Junzhe Davy Zou

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all

I am looking at purchasing an xdeep dive computer. I like the way the screen lays out all the information and the fact that I can upgrade it later when I get into more advanced setups.

xDEEP - BLACK EANx Nitrox dive computer; OLED multi gas computer;

A bit about my background: rescue diver, with about 50 or so dives. Right now I use a second hand old scuba pro dive computer that is at least 10 years old. Got my Nitrox cert so will probably get the EANx version. look at doing my specialties right now, planning on deep, wreck, cave, peak perf, and equipment.

So I am looking for your experiences, people who have xdeep dive comps. What do you think about it?

thanks

Enjoy the reading.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

You will notice that neither the distributor nor the manufacturer offers any support or correspondence on this forum. Only on their rah-rah FB page. I would be very careful indeed before committing to this manufacturer. You will find customer service from them to be non-existent. They promise much but deliver little. I have yet to read a review that is anything other than negative in some aspect of this computer/BT.

Hi all

I am looking at purchasing an xdeep dive computer. I like the way the screen lays out all the information and the fact that I can upgrade it later when I get into more advanced setups.

xDEEP - BLACK EANx Nitrox dive computer; OLED multi gas computer;

A bit about my background: rescue diver, with about 50 or so dives. Right now I use a second hand old scuba pro dive computer that is at least 10 years old. Got my Nitrox cert so will probably get the EANx version. look at doing my specialties right now, planning on deep, wreck, cave, peak perf, and equipment.

So I am looking for your experiences, people who have xdeep dive comps. What do you think about it?

thanks
Hi Junzhe!
I actually own the EANx version of this computer and so far I love it. While there are some minor issues with it (such as the fact that there the water temperature in F is not recorded properly while the temp in C is pretty close because the computer's CPU emits a lot of heat and its throwing off the temp sensor) due to the fact that this is a relatively new product, I'm finding the menus very easy to navigate, the display is splendid and I like the fact that you can customize a LOT of different colors, menus, and dive settings. Its very small and great for travel. I really like the integrated compass too!

I chose this computer for its display, its compass and especially because it offered me the chance to pay for something I would use instead of paying for something I wouldn't. Meaning that I could buy the nitrox version and not pay for the trimix version since I won't use trimix. If I ever chose to go trimix, I'll simply pay for the upgrade and then update the computer (no need to buy a new device). The EANx version has 3 gasses which is more than enough for even advanced nitrox divers. I also very much like the fact that the battery is rechargeable, which is important to me for environmental reasons.

Regarding the support of the device, many have got scarred by reports of bugs that were actually miss-use of the product (mainly due to divers ignoring a required safety stop and then getting out of the water). I can attest from personal experience that if you find something wrong with the device, the manufacturer responds quickly. I myself am debugging an issue I have (the surface interval is not remembered properly in the dive log, while it is calculated properly for dive calculations) and I'm doing so directly with the owner of the company who is taking my issue head on personally. He also will be including a feature in the next version of the software per my request. This to me is very comforting.

There is indeed a limited supply of devices so you might have some wait. The manufacturer had a problem with one of its suppliers which is resolved now and they are catching up with orders. They have had a huge demand which surpassed their initial expectations. All in all I ordered mine online (there were no dealers in my area) and did my first dive with it 29 days later. Not as bad as some others have hinted at. I might be lucky though. :)

PS, Sadly, you'll find lots of people here are ready to critique something they don't own. Its sad but this is the nature of such forums. Also bare in mind that competing companies often post fake bad reviews on competitor's product to discourage potential buyers from getting them. I suggest to always take advice from someone who actually owns one, such as was your request. :)

Also bare in mind that competing companies often post fake bad reviews on competitor's product to discourage potential buyers from getting them.

Please, tell us more about how you think this has happened with the xDeep BLACK. I'll be right back, just need some :popcorn:

..... While there are some minor issues with it (such as the fact that there the water temperature in F is not recorded properly while the temp in C is pretty close because the computer's CPU emits a lot of heat and its throwing off the temp sensor) .....

This is definitely not the root cause. If the processor is generating heat, it should affect the temp sensor, and both C and F reading should be off but consistent. My guess is that the equation to convert from C to F or vice versa is wrong.

This is definitely not the root cause. If the processor is generating heat, it should affect the temp sensor, and both C and F reading should be off but consistent. My guess is that the equation to convert from C to F or vice versa is wrong.

I think he said there's an error with both, but that the C reading is only a bit off because xDeep doesn't understand how electronics work, while the F reading is way off because it's affected by both that lack of engineering ability and a software bug.

It was amusing to read one of the explanations for the heat transfer problem given in an earlier thread, which was essentially 'well, you have to expect this kind of heat problem when you use the most advanced processor ever!' One is left wondering just how much product testing occured with the BLACK; did they perhaps decide to throw that powerful processor into a tiny dive computer and just hope for the best from an engineering standpoint?

But hey, you can hack up a cool start-up splash screen image!

Hi Junzhe!
I actually own the EANx version of this computer and so far I love it. While there are some minor issues with it (such as the fact that there the water temperature in F is not recorded properly while the temp in C is pretty close because the computer's CPU emits a lot of heat and its throwing off the temp sensor) due to the fact that this is a relatively new product, I'm finding the menus very easy to navigate, the display is splendid and I like the fact that you can customize a LOT of different colors, menus, and dive settings. Its very small and great for travel. I really like the integrated compass too!

I chose this computer for its display, its compass and especially because it offered me the chance to pay for something I would use instead of paying for something I wouldn't. Meaning that I could buy the nitrox version and not pay for the trimix version since I won't use trimix. If I ever chose to go trimix, I'll simply pay for the upgrade and then update the computer (no need to buy a new device). The EANx version has 3 gasses which is more than enough for even advanced nitrox divers. I also very much like the fact that the battery is rechargeable, which is important to me for environmental reasons.

Regarding the support of the device, many have got scarred by reports of bugs that were actually miss-use of the product (mainly due to divers ignoring a required safety stop and then getting out of the water). I can attest from personal experience that if you find something wrong with the device, the manufacturer responds quickly. I myself am debugging an issue I have (the surface interval is not remembered properly in the dive log, while it is calculated properly for dive calculations) and I'm doing so directly with the owner of the company who is taking my issue head on personally. He also will be including a feature in the next version of the software per my request. This to me is very comforting.

There is indeed a limited supply of devices so you might have some wait. The manufacturer had a problem with one of its suppliers which is resolved now and they are catching up with orders. They have had a huge demand which surpassed their initial expectations. All in all I ordered mine online (there were no dealers in my area) and did my first dive with it 29 days later. Not as bad as some others have hinted at. I might be lucky though. :)

PS, Sadly, you'll find lots of people here are ready to critique something they don't own. Its sad but this is the nature of such forums. Also bare in mind that competing companies often post fake bad reviews on competitor's product to discourage potential buyers from getting them. I suggest to always take advice from someone who actually owns one, such as was your request. :)

Let me repeat. I have yet to read a review that does not mention something negative about the device. Despite the rah-rah intro, even this paid "ad" has to acknowledge that the thermometer is a joke. We also have a new bug. But we now have a new insight as to the source of the perennial delays.

Back
Top Bottom