Need advice on San Diego area diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive Report for 04/09/08
Site: La Jolla Cove
Time: 6:30am
Water Temp: 58 at depth
Depth: 33fsw
Dive Time: 38min
Viz: 3-10'
Pictures: Picasa Web Albums - SoCalSwami - 040908 cove

As promised, Chebby arrived on April 9 and reported for duty aboard the SS-Hookie
After arriving at the site and reviewing the oncoming 3'-5' waves while debating our future, we decided to give it a go.
Although the kick-out wasn't difficult, it wasn't exactly a piece of cake. The swells ware coming at 8-10 sec intervals and expectations for high surge were on the rise.

Dropping into 20 fsw, the viz was a lavish 3-5' (or was that inches). To say the least it was not ideal conditions. But we pushed on to the North hoping for better water, but to little avail. Viz opened up to 10' on 2-3 occasions.

Small allotment of critters were found, lobsters, rays and the always fashionable Garibaldi.

I apologized to Chebby for the unfavorable conditions, but reminded him, we natives try to secretly plan it that way, so out-of-town'rs don't get to attached. Maybe it was bad timing or maybe it was the Redsox/Patriots Curse moving west, whatever it was, I am hopeful Chebby will have better luck on the next trip.

Mike

I admire your determination. I've sworn a solemn oath to never dive in less than 15' viz.

Unless it's lobster season.

Damn, I'm back to cold and gray Massachussets, nnnooooooo....

Big thanks to Mike for hooking me up with a tank, weights and giving me an introduction to San Diego diving, even though vis was "from awfull to bad" as he eloquently put it :) I enjoyed better visibility in Sea World that day :) Thanks for pics too, I’ll use one of them on my facebook :)

I did another dive to the Canyon the next day, and vis was much better. I saw some huge red snails and some gray snails with orange-blue lines on them (people call them nudies, I think?). Also a small leopard shark, lots of lobster (OMG, it doesn't have claws) and blennies hiding in tubes and other vegetation. Very interesting. This is what I've been missing diving the same NE ocean for years, the sense of discovery. I should travel more :)

Damn, I'm back to cold and gray Massachussets, nnnooooooo....

Big thanks to Mike for hooking me up with a tank, weights and giving me an introduction to San Diego diving, even though vis was "from awfull to bad" as he eloquently put it :) I enjoyed better visibility in Sea World that day :) Thanks for pics too, I’ll use one of them on my facebook :)

I did another dive to the Canyon the next day, and vis was much better. I saw some huge red snails and some gray snails with orange-blue lines on them (people call them nudies, I think?). Also a small leopard shark, lots of lobster (OMG, it doesn't have claws) and blennies hiding in tubes and other vegetation. Very interesting. This is what I've been missing diving the same NE ocean for years, the sense of discovery. I should travel more :)

huge red snails = I believe those were Sea Hares (Aplysia californica)
the nudi you saw - Navanax inermis. I dove LJS today and saw several in the canyon.

ha that blenny looks like female version of Jar-Jar in makeup :)

And yes, Navanax inermis is my official favorite nudi (of course i've only seen 2 so far.)

Back
Top Bottom