Need advice on best place for holiday and diving in Egypt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amp0611

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok, I would love to have some personal advice from people who have spent time in Egypt and have been to at least a couple of the main diving towns, such as Dahab, Sharm, Hurghada, Marsa Alam, etc. I am interested in visiting Egypt for sightseeing and also to do my DM certification. I have read so much I am cross eyed, but still don't have the slightest clue of what these places are really like. I want somewhere with good diving and good opportunity to learn, of course, but also want a place where I can have some relaxing and interesting times on shore too, maybe a bit of local culture and not just hanging out in fancy resorts all day, is that possible? Would love to hear your opinion,

If you had one month to spend in one place in Egypt for diving and holiday, where would it be?

Although I work here my experience is pretty much limited to Sharm and Dahab but my simplest answer to your question would be: If I could take the diving in Sharm and the lifestyle in Dahab, I would be a happy man!

If it came to a choice, I would suggest Dahab is the place for you. The diving is generally very nice, very easy, not as good as Sharm, IMO - but I am not a big fan of living in Sharm. I much prefer Dahab, with it's back-packery type vibe and a bit of actual culture and history to the place, a LOT less hassle in the street, and some most excellent and inexpensive bars. Sharm is just a tourist resort. There are some nice bars in Na'ama Bay (in fact, all the big dive centres have their own! :D ) but outside of that - not so much to do apart from touristy activities. I also feel there's more of a "community" atmosphere in Dahab, which I feel is lacking in Sharm, although that might just be me!

I'm sure that others will fill you in on the other locations!

Good luck,

C.

Sharm and Tiran/Ras Mohamed and Thistlegorm are not so far away, it's 1.5 hours by (a sensibly driven) taxi between Sharm and Dahab, and there is a daily local bus for 25LE - I think - it's a while since I took it - and whilst day trips are possible, that's a long day, and better to spend a few days in Sharm rather than travel back and forth

Would have to agree with Crowley, although Sharm has a lot more going on, Clubs, Bars, Hard Rock, McDonald's.
Dahab has a much more of a community feel to it; the diving is not as good as Sharm, but we do have a few world famous sites,(Blue Hole, Canyon, Islands). 99% of the diving is from the shore, so that makes for a less hectic day.

It's lost a lot of its hippie vibe over the last few years but I guess you can put that down to progress?

We have 2/3 expat bars and a couple of nightclubs; not nightclubs is the true sense of the word but a Dahab version of a night club (sand for the floor and stars for the roof).

We have around 4 IDC centers that offer quality diver training and around 40 more centres that cover every price range you can think of.

Like Crowley says Sharm is a 25le, 1 hour bus ride a way if you miss the nightlife.

However, I'm slightly biased as I have lived here for 11 years.

Good luck with what ever you choose. I am sure you will have a fantastic time ..

P.

We have 2/3 expat bars and a couple of nightclubs; not nightclubs is the true sense of the word but a Dahab version of a night club (sand for the floor and stars for the roof).

My favourite kind of nightclub! :D

I agree with Crowley too, however if you are really wanting a full on Divemaster course, then Sharm may be the place to do it. There you will gain experience of both shore and boat diving, busy dive centres and busy courses. You will also get a taste of the general stamina required to become a guide in a lively divers resort.

Dahab is much more laid back, which I love, however as a newbie Divemaster, you will need to learn the importance of time keeping, getting the briefings done and dives done and logistics done in time for a set jetty time (at the moment the jetties are closing at 4.30 pm making a three dive day a logistical challenge).

Just a thought anyway. Regardless of where you go, I hope the course goes well, do as much of the theory as you can ahead of your trip and enjoy! :D

Thanks for all the advice. You made a good point divebunnie. I am hoping to find a place with a good learning opportunity, in other words, I don't want to do my DM in a place that does mainly one thing, like only OW or fun dives...I want to get experience in as many aspects as possible, however, I hope to find a place that I really like too. When it comes to choosing a place to do my DM, the world is my oyster. The reason I chose Egypt is because it is a place I have always been interested in visiting since I was a kid, so I thought this would provide a good opportunity for me, both as a DM candidate and a holidaymaker! So far Sharm doesn't seem like my ideal place for a holiday, but I will def keep in mind based on the points you made!

Marsa Alam is great for diving and for the DM course , Try to check marsa-shagra.org , it's a very clean , very nice camp, I took the chalet with a friend , others took the Royal tent which is adorable too , the atmosphere and diving are great, ppl there are very friendly and very professional . Marsa Alam is in the south , so the nearest sightseeing city would be Luxor .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom