Need advice - Medium or Large?

Which size should I go with

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr. X

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
All joking aside, I'm a new diver looking to buy his first BC.

Am considering a Sherwood Ventura and am at almost EXACTLY at the intersection between the Medium and Large sizes. I need your advice about which size I should go with.

Here are the Ventura sizing suggestions, and mine:

Medium:
Height 5'4"-5'8"
Weight (lbs)140-175
Chest (in) 38-42
Waist (in) 28-36

Large
:
Height 5'8" 6'1"
Weight (lbs) 170-210
Chest (in) 40-46
Waist (in) 36-44

Me:
Height 5'7"
Weight (lbs) 178
Chest (in) 39-40
Waist 36-38

I can’t try them on as it’s an online sale.
I’m a warm water recreational vacation diver.
I’m thinking in going with the large, but am worried the straps will bottom out and be too loose. Maybe with a wetsuit the large wlll be better.
I’m 50 y.o. and anticipate my weight and size to be constant,

Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

Nick

Last edited:
I would probably go for large. Worse case scenario there is always beer and wings.

go to a dive shop and try one on that way you will know for sure im 5.6 and 190 lbs with a 44 chest and i wear a aqua lung hd medium size

You fall into the medium range more than the lower end of the large. You should really try to try one on first. If it is too big you may have an uncomfortable dive or feel like you are slipping out at the surface.

Are you able to order the medium and then exchange it if it is too tight.

Unfortunately I have found size charts to nor always be accurate. Can't say anything about this specific one but have run into issues with wetsuit size charts.

All joking aside,

Sorry, no can do: lose 4 pounds off your waistline and you'll be exactly Medium.

OK, seriously, we just bought one for my better half and with her being more "medium" than "large" and after LP salesguy saying "Cressis tend to run biggish", she still ended up sending it back for exchange. So my advice: take a very close look at the shop's return/exchange policy.

Can I be the first one to say it? Purchase a BP/W and not worry about size, just cut the extra webbing when it is fitted properly. In all seriousness I'm about your size and my first BC was a Sherwood Avid in size medium and all the straps were in the middle of the adjustment. A large would have been way to big.

There is still different size for backplate, although most will fit into regular, I don't. There is different shape as well. It took me quite a few tries to get what I like. So the "not worry about size" part isn't accurate. The only good part is the resale of backplates is quite easy compare to a BCD.

The only good part is the resale of backplates is quite easy compare to a BCD.

Tell me about it. I've been trying to find a used setup for my son and other than one I did not send money fast enough on I can't find any for less than a retail package.

Thank you all very much. I get it. This is the downside of buying online.
I will let you know. It's in the mail, and I should have it early next week.
Cheers!

There is still different size for backplate, although most will fit into regular, I don't. There is different shape as well. It took me quite a few tries to get what I like. So the "not worry about size" part isn't accurate. The only good part is the resale of backplates is quite easy compare to a BCD.

fact, I don't fit into normal ones either. Thank God for Deep Sea Supply making the long backplates. At @Dr. X 's size, he fits right in the normal range for bpw's though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom