Beginner BCD purchase size

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stacey9292

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hi all,

I'm debating purchasing the mares prestige sls bcd however I'm struggling with size.

I am 5 foot 6 and weigh around 86kg.

If I go for the medium the height is fine, waist and chest size great however the weight specifies 60 - 80kgs which is 6kg less than I weigh.

The alternative would be to go for the large which would be fine on waist chest and my weight however the height starts from 5'7. 1 inch taller.

Which one would you recommend (if any) as I'm struggling. I'm also open to recommendations for other jacket style BCDs :)

Hope this make a sense.

Stacey. :)

Hi all,

I'm debating purchasing the mares prestige sls bcd however I'm struggling with size.

I am 5 foot 6 and weigh around 86kg.

If I go for the medium the height is fine, waist and chest size great however the weight specifies 60 - 80kgs which is 6kg less than I weigh.

The alternative would be to go for the large which would be fine on waist chest and my weight however the height starts from 5'7. 1 inch taller.

Which one would you recommend (if any) as I'm struggling. I'm also open to recommendations for other jacket style BCDs :)

Hope this make a sense.

Stacey. :)
Just to add I believe the medium has 35lbs of lift and the large 38.

Did you try them on yourself or are you just trying to do it remotely? If you try them in person, just find the one that fits you the best and not worry about the weight.

As BoltSnap said, you need to try a jacket style BC. They vary so much in fit, a medium in one brand will fit very differently than a medium in another brand or even lines within a brand. Everyone's body shape is different, so trying as many as you can is key to finding the right fit.

Did you try them on yourself or are you just trying to do it remotely? If you try them in person, just find the one that fits you the best and not worry about the weight.
I didn't try them on at the shop but at my poolclessons I use a mares jacket BCD medium so I thought same brand same thing? I'll get myself to a dive shop and try them on. I'm quite a long way from a dive shop do was hoping for remote. My biggest worry really was being to heavy for the BCD to keep me afloat I'm guessing that would be unlikely?

My biggest worry really was being to heavy for the BCD to keep me afloat I'm guessing that would be unlikely?

No, it all has to do with fit. I'd go to a dive shop and try them on before buying them. Make sure that they fit you for the heaviest/thickest thermal protection suit you are expecting to wear.

I didn't try them on at the shop but at my poolclessons I use a mares jacket BCD medium so I thought same brand same thing? I'll get myself to a dive shop and try them on. I'm quite a long way from a dive shop do was hoping for remote. My biggest worry really was being to heavy for the BCD to keep me afloat I'm guessing that would be unlikely?
Short version, 35 LB lift should be more than enough for most single tank diving. Long version, proper amount of lift has little to do with body weight... It's all about buoyancy. Think of it this way:

1: You have individual buoyancy (do you float or sink in a pool wearing a swimsuit, and how much lead it takes to sink or how much added lift to float)
2: Exposure protection, i.e. wetsuit or drysuit (always a positive buoyancy, amount varies by type of suit)
3: Rig (tank, BCD, regset assembly)... depending on tank may be a positive or negative value.

When properly weighted (correct lead for you in your configuration) you should be neutral at 15 ft. with approximately 500 PSI/35 Bar with little or no air in the BCD.

So the BCD has 2 requirements:
1: Addressing buoyancy swing through the dive (tank starts approx 2.5-3 kg heavy due to the air you will use up, wetsuits compress at depth reducing buoyancy)
2: Supporting the rig itself at the surface if you have to take it off in the water.

Extreme examples of #1: Warm water no wetsuit, LP72 steel tank, my total buoyancy swing is 5 LB... I use a 14LB lift BCD and it's more than enough. Other extreme, a 7 mm full suit with a steel 120 the suit may have as much as 16 LB of lost buoyancy at depth due to suit compression, and the tank is going have 10 LB of air I can use... so 26 LB lift minimum would be needed.

Now looking at those examples in terms of item 2: First example, with that steel tank on my aluminum plate and my old school brass regs, the whole rig is about 10 LB negative at the start of the dive.... so even though I only need 5 LB lift to account for buoyancy swing, I need at least 10 LB to account for being able to float the rig by itself. My 14 LB lift wing still works out.
Second example, the buoyancy characteristics will be largely determined by whether you use integrated weights or a separate weight belt (or a combination). That steel 120 will be quite negative (around 10 LB negative at the start of the dive), then the BCD buoyancy (which will include any integrated weights). So if you use more than 16 LB of integrated weights, the rig becomes your limiting issue for minimum lift requirement. And unless you have over 15 LB of integrated weights, the 35 LB lift BCD is still sufficient.

Respectfully,

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom