Need advice Kauai December Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve P

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Considering visiting Kauai for the first time for some diving and exploring as I'll be in Oahu on business first week of December (2007). I've dived Oahu, Big Island & Maui (actually Lanai) numerous times in the past so I'm due for Kauaii trip.

I've checked some of the SB posts for information and looks like a few dive ops are recommended (Fathom Five, Seasports, Bubbles Below) but some of the posts are a bit dated. Also, looks like weather is an issue in December (North side?).

Since I've never been, any advice would be appreciated. Specifcally, relating to weather, dive conditions, dive sites and/or good snorkeling locations.

Steve

Life's a beach and then you dive . . .

North shore in December will very likely be getting moderate to heavy surf. I'd stay on the south shore, there's plenty of good diving there.

The best diving that time of year will be near Poipu.
I used Seasports and will use them again when I return in July.

Ok, so looks like south side / Poipu is the place to dive in early Dec. I've now confirmed I'm going and wife is coming as well (she's also a diver). From what I've read here, shore diving is pretty decent. I'd still book these through LDS since I'm not familiar with sites/conditions, but would like to know if taking boat charter is worth extra $.

steve

Ok, so looks like south side / Poipu is the place to dive in early Dec. I've now confirmed I'm going and wife is coming as well (she's also a diver). From what I've read here, shore diving is pretty decent. I'd still book these through LDS since I'm not familiar with sites/conditions, but would like to know if taking boat charter is worth extra $.

steve

I would absolutely book boat dives. After all, how often do you go to Kauai?

I've used Seasport Divers too...and had a great time. Of course it was in the summer and we went to Ni'ihau!!

Thanks, Looks like we will book boat dives with Seasport - they have room for days we're able to dive. Another question - any tips for lodging in Poipu area? Hotel searches I've done only list hotles in the area at $175 & up/night. I did find decent rate (I think) at the Resort Quest hotels near Lihue. If its not too far of a drive that might work out ok. Also, we would like to spend last day exploring. Any suggestions for the best kayak / hikiing areas. There seems to be plenty to choose from.

Steve

I dove every day right out from the dive shop @ Poipu, submarine landing . Good viz and easy entree. Lots of fish & easy swim left or right . Check satelite pic . Seasports is the dive shop.
Ni'ihau is closed for the season but they can hook u up for a boat dive.

I think we stayed at the Sheraton. It's not even 5 minutes away from Seasport divers. I recommend an ocean front room.

Tough time to find a rental and so quick.
If you want a cheaper rate and a nice place, I'd say Islander on the Beach. It's a little drive from Poipu (20 minutes or so) but it's in Kapaa. I much prefer Kapaa to Poipu. The place was completely renovated about 3 years ago, and is really clean inside. The grounds are small and all the rooms are between 75' and 500' of the beach. You can snorkel there. Here's the webcam Islander On The Beach AOAO - www.islandercam.com (Also, I don't have anything to do with this place anymore...)

Resort Quest did another development at the old Radisson, which I think was basically minor cosmetic changes. I don't recall what the name is now or the rates, but they'll be less than Poipu.

I dove with Seasport in August and they wouldn't be my first choice. I'm going with Bubbles Below or Fathom Five in March.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom