Need Advice- continuing dive education with my son April

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wdjpvaz

Registered
Reaction score
Hi I need some advice from the dive community. My 15 year old son is certified and has done about 10 OW dives. He is an excellent diver and shown an interest in becoming a dive master. I am looking for a recommendation on a Dive Resort to take him to for a week in April where we can dive regularly and continue his education. I am considering Belize or Bay Islands. Ideally the resort would have following characteristics:
1) First and foremost great diving close by and instructors who will be fun and kind to my son and obviously offer various PADI courses
2) Assume April is a great time to go weather and vs wise?
3) A nice resort ( 4 or 5 star) with other features and things to do nearby

Let me know your thoughts and thanks!

He will want to dive dive dive. Hard to do better than Bonaire. Buddy Dive would work.

Thanks - any recommendations in Belize or Honduras?

While there are many great training courses and programs out there which generally speaking contribute towards diver development, there is one thing that can't be done without diving and that's hands on experience and executing skills through practice. Enthusiastic divers with the bare minimal number of logged dives required by any program, you name it, apply enthusiasm and study only to shortly thereafter successfully pass, complete the course, but if you scratch the surface, they are still green and could use some real practice.

If your son is excited and enthusiastic about the sport, my suggestion would be to find some time to put in repetitive dives with him, mentor and support him, put in the time to log dives practicing skills and just enjoying the experience it self, and worry about the course and training later. Now a days, there are virtually lots of apps and programs for that, but not for great diving with Dad.

One more thing, Tursiops recommendation of Bonaire is going to be very difficult to top, I can't think of any other place where you can essentially dive to your hearts content without depending on boats, guides, schedules, etc.etc.

Cheers

Scubadada- not a helpful response:(

Anyone else have recommendations for good dive resorts in Belize that meet these requirements:
1) First and foremost great diving close by and instructors who will be fun and kind to my son and obviously offer various PADI courses

Scubadada- not a helpful response:(

Anyone else have recommendations for good dive resorts in Belize that meet these requirements:
Sorry, I have seen many scuba fathers with aspirations for their sons. If this is not you, I apologize for even bringing up the issue. How does a 15 year old with 10 dives know what they want to do? Best of luck in your future diving.

I also learned to dive when I was 15, and enjoyed it very much. I toyed with the idea of becoming an instructor but went to college and medical school instead. It was a good decision.

Scubadada- I just said he has "shown an interest". Just trying to get recommendations from the community on the board about dive resorts....

Anyway- back to the topic- anyone know of a resort in Belize they would recommend? I am leaning toward Belize due to flights.

Thanks everyone!

My only experience in Belize has been on liveaboards. April was perfect weather. I took my youngest son when he was 15 and he loved the aggressor, the crew was great with him and he got to dive 5 times a day. You could do an advanced class on board.

Back
Top Bottom