Need Advice- continuing dive education with my son April

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry, I have seen many scuba fathers with aspirations for their sons. If this is not you, I apologize for even bringing up the issue. How does a 15 year old with 10 dives know what they want to do? Best of luck in your future diving.

@scubadada, I have seen many example of 'helicopter' parents who try to over-steer their kids to follow the parents dreams.. But its a huge leap to say that no 15yr old kid can't have a strong drive towards a certain goal. I have personally know several 'kids' who have possessed very strong goals and aspirations.

Assuming that the OP's kid is one from that mold.. I think its awesome that he has a dad willing to help him follow that dream.

Last edited:
@scubadada, I have seen many example of 'helicopter' parents who try to over-steer their kids to follow the parents dreams.. But its a huge leap to say that no 15yr old kid can have a strong drive towards a certain goal. I have personally know several 'kids' who have possessed very strong goals and aspirations.

Assuming that the OP's kid is one from that mold.. I think its awesome that he has a dad willing to help him follow that dream.

I did not accuse anybody of anything, simply raised the issue. A 15 y/o with 10 dives simply does not have much experience to draw on. He is lucky that he has a father who enjoys diving himself and supports his diving. Everyone in my family dives, wife, son, and daughter, I only wish we had the opportunity to dive more together :)

I have dove on the Bay Islands in Honduras and stayed numerous times at Coco View...great dive your guts out place but I was already an AI and didn't have kids yet, so took no classes....good dive program however...Belize I have dove in Ambergris and Placentia.....my kids were divers when we went to Placentia, (12 & 16) and both with over 100 dives..they did not like the lengthy boat trips to dive sites (loved the area otherwise) so I wouldn't recommend staying in that part of Belize for your purposes. Where did my kids take fantastic advanced dive classes??: Granada, (stayed at True Blue Resort and dove with Aquanats), St. Croix dove with (I think) Cane Bay, and by far the best, thorough and most comprehensive were the classes they took in Bonaire at Wanna Dive. FYI too, make sure. wherever you end up going, the instructors speak the language your child speaks fluently. Good luck in your quest...happy diving!!!

Hi @wdjpvaz

Though not on your initial list, I suggest looking at Grand Cayman, specifically, Divetech

You could consider one of their accommodations or choose from an infinite list of other possibilities. Though you don't say where you are from, Grand Cayman is pretty easy to get to. There is plenty to do on Grand Cayman if you are not diving.

Divetech offers any educational opportunity your son might be interested in for this trip, AOW, RD, a long list of specialties. There would be as much diving for both and your son as you would want, boat, shore, and night. Divetech offers a unique dive, West Bay Express, a point to point DPV dive. My son and I did this dive twice while Divetech was still at Cobalt Coast, a real blast and a fun dive to do together.

Best of luck, good diving,

Craig

Back
Top Bottom