Need Advice - Best AC Dive Shop for New Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaDar

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi Folks,

We're coming to Ambergris Caye the first week in March. Staying at Ramon's. We are both newly certified divers. Got our OW in Cozumel in December. I was able to complete 6 dives in Cozumel and loved every minute!

Being so new we are not filled with confidence....are you ever? We are looking for a dive shop that will give us the attention and TLC that new divers need. I know Ramon's has their dive shop and would love feedback and advice on this or any other shop that you would recommend.

Thanks so much!
Dar

This is so much a matter of personal preference. In the town area many people love Ramon's dive shop, many love Amigos del Mar, many love Chuck 'n Robbies, others have their own personal preferences. For me for local diving #1 is Island Divers (small groups and highly personal attention), given that my own shop is now closed :D.

For atoll diving I'd probably choose Amigos or Belize Dive Connection (just up the beach from you at Sunbreeze Hotel), though Island Divers do some trips and I'd choose them if they were going.

Away from the town area (north) I'd choose White Sands dive shop.

But remember that any dive shop will pick you up and drop you off at your dock, pretty well regardless of where it is. And please remember that these suggestions are very much my personal ones, and others might come up with other options or order these differently.

We were pleased with Island Divers for local dives and Aqua Scuba for Blue Hole trip.

I am also a new diver travelling to AC (in 2 weeks). Unfortunately I am the only one in my group of 12 that will be diving. Does anyone know if the dive shops listed above will be able to accommodate a single diver?

It's unlikely that you will be the only diver the dive shop has. Will you staying in the town area or somewhere well away from it? Picking up a single diver from a remote resort can be economically unattractive.

We are staying at Villa Aurora, which I believe is located about 5 miles north of town. I assume if this is too far for them to come, I could always make my way to the dive shop.
How many people are on a typical dive and how many dive masters? Since I am still a newbie, these will be my first non-training dives, I would really feel most comfortable with very personal attention, perhaps 1 on 1 with a dive master... which I assume is possible, but for what cost?

Sounds to me as if your best bet will be White Sands dive shop (Today's News for White Sands Dive Shop at San Pedro Ambergris Caye Belize), located at Las Terrazzas Resort not too far from yours, although I'm not familiar with Aurora. They should take good care of you, allowing for your newness to diving. There is no "typical" number of people on a dive, though generally you can reckon on 2-6 or sometimes 8. I am sure it will be possible for you to dive 1:1 with a DM, though that may well not be necessary. Whether they charge extra will depend on their logistics at the time - in my dive center (now closed) I generally didn't charge extra for that.

Hi Peter...and thank you so much for your suggestions. I've rea about Island Divers and they do seem like a wonderful group. I do think we'll look into them and see what we can schedule.

You no longer run your own dive shop. What do you do as far as "ad-hoc" teaching?

We did some dives with Island Divers in October. Very pleased with them. When we go back, they will get my business.

You no longer run your own dive shop. What do you do as far as "ad-hoc" teaching?

Nothing much at present, because I'm in process of getting a new business up and running. There is currently a local legal issue which prevents me teaching tourists, though I hope that may be removed in the coming months. How much I teach then will depend very much on how demanding my new business has become.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom