Need Advice - Best AC Dive Shop for New Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Folks,

We're coming to Ambergris Caye the first week in March. Staying at Ramon's. We are both newly certified divers. Got our OW in Cozumel in December. I was able to complete 6 dives in Cozumel and loved every minute!

Being so new we are not filled with confidence....are you ever? We are looking for a dive shop that will give us the attention and TLC that new divers need. I know Ramon's has their dive shop and would love feedback and advice on this or any other shop that you would recommend.

Thanks so much!
Dar

Hi Dar-
I'll throw in another recommendation for Island Divers. Welcome to Island Divers Belize My wife and I dove with Island Divers last March, and we are returning during the last week of this upcoming March for another week of diving. Their diving is typically done with "Rudy", the owner or with "Nef" his main divemaster. Boats are on the smaller side and usually go out with 2-6 people on board. There were several days last spring that it was only my wife and I diving. Kinda nice to have your own "private" charter. I think they will give you any amount of attention you desire. They will certainly pick you up or drop you off at Ramon's dock or any other dock in SanPedro.

If you're staying at Ramon's, be sure to venture to the BlueWater Grill at the Sunbreeze Hotel next door. Their Sushi, if you like it, on certain nights of the week is fantastic. They also serve up some of the best Caye Lime Pie on the Island. PM if you need Rudy's Email address.

I stayed at Ramon's Village in Jan/Feb of 2007, in room 13 I believe. The road noise was very loud in that room, until about 10pm. I think if I went again, I'd probably ask for room 13 again, oddly enough.

Anyhow, I stayed there a week and dove with the house dive shop, and it was the most convenient diving I've ever done. I timed it, and it only took me 45 seconds to get from my room to the dive shop on the pier. From there, it was a matter of getting my equipment from the locker to the boat, which was a matter of 50 feet maybe? They have a shower right on the dock and rinse tank/s. We had some wind a couple days, but I did every dive I could and they were nice dives. The DM for most of my diving was Turrio (?) He was very good. The guys on the boats were very good at helping with equipment and reboarding etc. The cost of the diving was basically built in the package I got, so I don't really know what it cost and I can't remember what my add-on afternoon dives cost, but it wasn't shockingly expensive. That would be the only reason I'd look elsewhere if I were to return, so I'd say if diving with Ramon's isn't crazy expensive, you'll be just fine diving with them.

Not trying to take business away from any of the other mentioned shops, just relating my experience. I'm sure you'll have a great time with Ramon's or any of the other shops mentioned here.

As for being new divers, just my opinion, but the most important part about that is to tell whichever shop you choose what your experience level is, and if you have any apprehensions, etc. Also, hiring a private dm, if hiring is required, is a great thing to do for the first couple dives.

-Blair

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom