Need a source of J-Valve ( new ones )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I looked it up and the U.S. Navy has changed the rules, now:

COMMANDS ARE AUTHORIZED TO PURCHASE COMMERCIALLY AVAILABLE SCUBA CYLINDER MANIFOLDS AND VALVES. MANIFOLDS, VALVES, AND RELIEF VALVE MECHANISMS SHALL BE PROPERLY MATCHED TO CYLINDERS WORKING PRESSURE TO ENSURE THE RELIEF VALVE (BLOW OUT PLUG) IS THE WEAKEST POINT IN THE SYSTEM.

I looked it up and the U.S. Navy has changed the rules, now:

COMMANDS ARE AUTHORIZED TO PURCHASE COMMERCIALLY AVAILABLE SCUBA CYLINDER MANIFOLDS AND VALVES. MANIFOLDS, VALVES, AND RELIEF VALVE MECHANISMS SHALL BE PROPERLY MATCHED TO CYLINDERS WORKING PRESSURE TO ENSURE THE RELIEF VALVE (BLOW OUT PLUG) IS THE WEAKEST POINT IN THE SYSTEM.

Page 10 of the documnent:

CAT I 1.3.13 VALVE/MANIFOLD,
9C-4220-00-744-1248
APL: 990010105
AQUALUNG (USDIVERS) SINGLE J-VALVEPN 0545-00 GENERAL NOTE (3) APPLIES.

So it looks like they are still approved

I haven't seen the price of the single J but the J double manifold is about $800.

I suspect that they were removed from the approved list and found their way back in (like $5,000 toilet seats) as a result of "General Note 3" that I quoted above.

What Leadking and I posted was from the current ANU.

..........most of them leaked enough air past the seal to permit a "slow breather" to go right through the reserve to an "empty" tank condition.

You mentioned before that you thought it was only the singles J that had been discontinued. Actually, it is the doubles J that can leak past enough to cause a problem to go unnoticed, since the leak-over is taking place during the entire breathing cycle and the cylinders remain more or less equalized. A leaking singles J will still cause you to feel the breathing resistance once below the spring pressure, unless it is really, really, and I do mean really badly leaking. Not likely to happen.

From what I have seen of recent Navy training they still use the solid single outlet J manifold. They may not depend on it. I believe it is still available along with rebuild kits from Aqua Lung's military and commercial division. The service manual for both double and single J valves is online if you go to the military site.

Datasheets

A lot of the diving commands are still using the J valve, but it is their preference when buying. I've noticed the Dive Supervisors who have been around for awhile tend to like the J valves as they feel it's a back-up for their divers who don't check their SPG's!!

I'm gonna guess it's because the J-valve makes a better carrying handle.:D

I'm gonna guess it's because the J-valve makes a better carrying handle.:D

:D, yes, true, I fully agree.

But in all honesty J valves are still quite common in Europe, especially Italy, and are still readily and easily available from some of the bigger valve manufacturers. Here in the commercial enviroment we also use them extensively, but I agree, they can be "Quirky" and in the recreational industry that may not be a good thing, which is probably why they are disappearing there fast.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom