Need a pic of pocket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaJay

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm looking at adding a pocket to a dive rig...

I understand that the "correct" thing to do is to glue or sew a pocket to your wetsuit... But I'm not yet willing to make that commitment.

Instead, I'd like to look at some other options, particularly what's available for a bp/wing harness system.

I've seen the dual-zippered Dive Rite pocket that's designed to attach to any 2" webbing... But someone else told me that someone (perhaps Dive Rite) makes a pocket that's designed to attach to the 2" web belt, and then hang down to your thigh, where it has a strap that goes around your leg (so it doesn't flop around.)

Anyone have this? How do you like it? Got any pics?

Thanks in advance. Any other ideas on pockets are welcome...

SeaJay once bubbled...
But someone else told me that someone (perhaps Dive Rite) makes a pocket that's designed to attach to the 2" web belt, and then hang down to your thigh, where it has a strap that goes around your leg (so it doesn't flop around.)

Anyone have this? How do you like it? Got any pics?

Yes. I have a couple dive rite thigh pockets. They can either go onto your weight belt, or your harness belt [I put it on my weight belt so it's easier to don].

I know Uncle Pug [and others] told me I should sew it onto my suit, but I kinda like it removable [as I switch between two suits]. The velcro around the leg is very strong... elastic and about 5 inches wide. The loop is easy to adjust through the webbing keeper. I have one that I dive with always, and it has my shears mounted on the webbing strap that goes around the belt. It has two compartments inside... a little one and a big one. The little one fits my 50 lb dive rite lift bag perfectly. There is a plastic ring inside the bag for clipping your stuff in it.

The one bag works great for my lift bag, my slate, and my backup light, and would fit a spare mask as well as a few other things. My other bag is often rigged with my lobster stuff [gauge, bander, bands, etc...].

I've not had any problems with it getting loose without it being sewn or glued on.

If you need pics, I can see what I can do...

Sounds much more functional than anything else I've seen.

Yeah, I'd be really interested in pictures... I haven't been able to find pics anywhere...

I want to add pockets to my shorty and my farmer John. I dive with a back inflate for singles (a Chute II) and a BP and Wings for doubles. So I would rather have a consistent place for the stuffola one needs on a dive.

I'm good at sewing pockets onto wetsuits if you end up getting a pocket you want me to sew on. I don't live too far form you.

I really appreciate the offer.

Isn't there a problem, though, with sewing pockets on? I mean, my wetsuit is stretchy and hugs my body all over, and probably stretches a little to do so.

If I go and sew this pocket on, obviously my wetsuit won't stretch there... And over time, won't the stitches pull out? Won't it feel funny in that area in the meantime?

By the way, where does this pocket get sewn on, Wendy? Is it to the rear like this guy has in the picture, on the side, or on the front of the thigh?

And by the way, why not just use one of these pockets?

http://www.halcyon.net/images/pioneer_profile.jpg

I mean, there's no sewing, and if you needed to use a canister, you could always put this pocket on your left side so the canister could go in it's proper place...

Thanks for the pic... That looks very different from what I thought...

SeaJay once bubbled...
If I go and sew this pocket on, obviously my wetsuit won't stretch there... And over time, won't the stitches pull out?

I don't sew, but I've spent many years holding stacks of fabric in stores...

I believe you can get elastic thread that should solve that issue...[well, except for that the bag won't stretch...]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom