Need a pic of pocket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As an alternate possibility maybe a fanny pack might work for you. A couple of folks I dive with wanted a little extra space for items and they bought a $10 fanny pack from Wal-Mart to hold their odds and ends. They have weight integrated BC's so no weight belt for it to get in the way of. Just throwing that out.

SeaHunt once bubbled...
As an alternate possibility maybe a fanny pack might work for you. A couple of folks I dive with wanted a little extra space for items and they bought a $10 fanny pack from Wal-Mart to hold their odds and ends. They have weight integrated BC's so no weight belt for it to get in the way of. Just throwing that out.

Now that's an interesting idea too... Hmmmm...

I couldnt stomach paying 40 for a pocket. I thought it was absolutely ridiculous. I went to target and bought a very cheap (5.99) pouch that slides onto the belt webbing of my harness. It took awhile to find one that was the size I wanted, but there are so many choices. The great thing is that I wanted one without any padding at all and it turns out that those are considered to be the cheapest. I may eventually sew it/glue it on, but right now I just slide it onto the harness.

seabass once bubbled...
I couldnt stomach paying 40 for a pocket. I thought it was absolutely ridiculous. I went to target and bought a very cheap (5.99) pouch that slides onto the belt webbing of my harness. It took awhile to find one that was the size I wanted, but there are so many choices. The great thing is that I wanted one without any padding at all and it turns out that those are considered to be the cheapest. I may eventually sew it/glue it on, but right now I just slide it onto the harness.

Cool! I love stuff like this... I mean, this is DIVE GEAR. It's stuff you're going to drag along the bottom of the river, ocean, whatever. Yeah, its LIFE SUPPORT, but c'mon... Not this part. This part's just a POCKET.

Forty freakin' dollars. Pffftttt...

You said there were so many sizes available... Yet you say that this was pre-made to fit a 2" strap... Which department was this in? What was it originally designed for? Was this some kind of camping equipment or something? Maybe you got it in the arts and crafts department?

Got a picture?

You can also DIY for about $5 bucks/pocket. Just go to your nearest fabric store and get a yard of nylon cloth (the rough stuff that backpacks are made from), some nylon thread, a large needle and some velcro.

If you can get your hands on a sewing machine it can probably turn out a pocked in a few minutes.

I sewed my own thigh pocket, modeled after the Dive-rite one.
I added a quick connect/detach connector in strap at the top, to attach to the waist belt.
This way I don't have to remove the pocket when I'm switching tanks on my backplate and wing.

Mike D
:blfish:

the pocket may not be direct life support, however it can contain stuff that is. Examples: surface markers, spools, deco bags, spare masks, lights, etc. So don't write it off too quickly. Also, if you are buying stuff that is not made to be submerged in water repeatedly it may not hold up. This is especially true of cotton thread and/or material. Cotton rots over time. This also goes for making your own, like JimC said, be sure you use the nylon thread and fabric.

Mike

When you go look you will see what I mean, but all of the belt packs that I saw fit 2" webbing just right. The pocket that I got is big enought to put my slate in and is made out of cordura nylon. It doesn't have a brand, but if you go to the baggage section in target or walmart you should find plenty to choose from.

Hey mddolson...

...So that's where the pocket goes... On the outside of the thigh, like it was part of a pair of cargo pants, right?

I was wondering... I thought, for some reason, that they were supposed to be attached to the FRONT of the thigh, like a pilot has in his flight suit.

But then I saw someone with the pocket waaay back on the leg, like on the backside of his leg. (Actually, about 3/4th of the way there.)

But yours is on the side... What's right?

Back
Top Bottom