Need a new 109(?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, I left it open and would just touch it up once in a while with Brasso. It actually didn’t corrode bad at all if it was rinsed soon after diving.

I have a cover that is down to the brass after a long soak in vinegar. I might just have to polish it and install it on a 109/BA.

Edit: This is an old picture of it unpolished-note the @raftingtigger insignia in the purge cover. :)
4front.jpg

I have a cover that is down to the brass after a long soak in vinegar. I might just have to polish it and install it on a 109/BA.
Go to an auto body supply store and get a few sheets of 1000, 1500, 2000 and go through the grits, each finer grade removing the previous grit scratches. By the time you get to 2000 it should buff right up by hand with wheel polish or brasso.

Go to an auto body supply store and get a few sheets of 1000, 1500, 2000 and go through the grits, each finer grade removing the previous grit scratches. By the time you get to 2000 it should buff right up by hand with wheel polish or brasso.

Thanks Eric,

I have a packet of micro mesh with those grits. I'll give it a going over and post the results later. I'm going to steal my son's Dremel with a polishing head for the final polish. What would be the max rpm I can/should use?

TIA

Well here it is-unfortunately it has some pretty deep scratches and dents so I did not want to get too deep with the sanding.
109 cover brass color.JPG

I'm not sure, but I think I prefer it with the patina. What do y'all think?

Well here it is-unfortunately it has some pretty deep scratches and dents so I did not want to get too deep with the sanding.
View attachment 588587

I do kind of like the patina photo better. A bit more swashbuckling looking. If a person were to dive it salt and rinse well afterwards, since there are no moving parts obviously, how catastrophic would that be? Seems like it would be okay as long as the patina was acceptable to the owner. Asking for a conshelf friend. :)

View attachment 588587

Patina, then epoxy clearcoat to keep the exact level of patina forever.... At least that's my vote. Maybe you need a proper poll!

View attachment 588587

I like the polished brass reminds me of the days I used to work on the high seas with Raytheon radar systems. Lots of brass on those ships.

Back
Top Bottom