Need a little advice on BC selection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is true. I dive a 3mm shorty. The water isn't always that warm though.

I do want to have the capability of using a steel 120. They are common to some dive ops in Cozumel.

Just how heavey are the steel bp's? Wouldn't it be easier to travel with the aluminum BP?

Steel plates are typically 5-6 lbs and offer about that much in ballast. AL plates are closer to 2lbs and offer maybe 1lb in ballast. Al plates are a little easier for travel, maybe 4lbs lighter. Keep in mind that a steel BP/W with a small wing and webbing harness typically weighs about as much as an average jacket BC, and is less bulky for travel. The scubapro classic, as an example, weighs over 10 lbs and is probably about 2-3lbs positive in the water.

A general rule of thumb for warm water is to use a steel plate with an AL tank and vice-versa, although it does vary from person to person. You can simulate the ballast of a steel plate when using an AL plate by putting 4-6lbs of weight on the cambands. They make nice little pockets for that, or you thread the weight right on the camband. If you're diving in a 3 mil shorty, single tank, and you're not overweighted, you don't need any ditchable weight. It's only when there's a potential for you to be very negative at depth (or on the surface) that ditchable weight is a real safety factor. Offsetting the ability to purposely ditch weight is the possibility of accidentally losing it at depth and having an uncontrolled ascent. So there's two sides to that issue.

If you're using steel tanks at home and planning on renting them in Coz, probably an AL plate makes the most sense for you. Many of us who have switched to BP/W set ups end up with both a steel and AL plate eventually. The plate and webbing are not very expensive, and you just put the wing on whatever plate you're using at that time.

Occasionally I have to drag my old jacket BC out of the closet and use it for demonstrating skills in OW classes. Whenever that happens, I end up "pistoffo'ed" at how crappy it is to dive with jacket BCs.

---------- Post added October 18th, 2013 at 11:48 AM ----------

Trying on a BCD is like trying on a new coat – it feels great on the sales floor (and even smells good), which has nothing to do with how it feels and functions underwater.

Exactly, except it's only like trying on a new coat if you're planning on wearing the coat underwater!

Ok, so I went to Dive Gear Express today. I meet with Geoffrey and we went over what kind of diving we do. I tried on a Transpac and I must say I REALLY liked it. It was more comfortable than anything else I've tried thus far. There is nothing around the front torso making it very easy and free moving. He explained the advantages and differences compared to jackets and we also went over weight accessories, design, crotch straps and any other type of customization possibility. Like some previously mentioned, the ditch-able weight system is not really necessary and more cumbersome. We opted on a couple of small weight pockets. Being that we do not dive doubles, the BC we decided on was the VoyagerPac which has the added lift capability for steel 120's. The simplicity of these are great and they are pretty light and can be customized if I see fit. It's everything I was looking for and right in my price range. I got to bring in the wife when possible to have her try it out for herself. I didn't buy anything yet but this is looks to be it.

Thanks for the advice y'all.:)

Ok, so I went to Dive Gear Express today. I meet with Geoffrey and we went over what kind of diving we do. I tried on a Transpac and I must say I REALLY liked it. It was more comfortable than anything else I've tried thus far. There is nothing around the front torso making it very easy and free moving. He explained the advantages and differences compared to jackets and we also went over weight accessories, design, crotch straps and any other type of customization possibility. Like some previously mentioned, the ditch-able weight system is not really necessary and more cumbersome. We opted on a couple of small weight pockets. Being that we do not dive doubles, the BC we decided on was the VoyagerPac which has the added lift capability for steel 120's. The simplicity of these are great and they are pretty light and can be customized if I see fit. It's everything I was looking for and right in my price range. I got to bring in the wife when possible to have her try it out for herself. I didn't buy anything yet but this is looks to be it.

Thanks for the advice y'all.:)

I would NOT use pockets... First try a weight belt. Other than that. sounds like a decent rig. you REALLY need to try a rear inflation BC for yourself. You need to find out if it pushes you face down on the surface or not..

Also understand that many people really hate crotch straps.. I know I do.. I don't need one with a BP/w and thin suit, because I don't add that much air to the bc normally.

Iv'e been told you don't face plant unless you fill the bladder with way too much air.

Me too.. a lot of times,, Don't believe everything you read on the internets... Try it yourself. PB divers tend to spend a lot of time on the surface waiting for a boat. You need to get some considerable lift to get the head out so you can see if the boat sees you or if another boat is going to run you over...

Me too.. a lot of times,, Don't believe everything you read on the internets... Try it yourself. PB divers tend to spend a lot of time on the surface waiting for a boat. You need to get some considerable lift to get the head out so you can see if the boat sees you or if another boat is going to run you over...
LOL

You mean the internet isn't always true? :shocked2:

I need to find where I could rent one.

I will loan you one, if you like..

Back
Top Bottom