Need a little advice on BC selection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EL Pistoffo

Contributor
Reaction score
I am in the process of selecting gear for the wife and myself. We only dive warm waters (live in South Florida) and travel at least once a year to dive. From what i've gathered through some research on the subject I've decided on less cumbersome rear inflation type of jacket style BC's. I prefer the increased freedom movement of afforded by those types, especially since I film video UW. Being lighter to haul around is a plus as well. Since I have to purchase 2 BC's, the sky is not the limit with cost.

As of now my BC selections are:

Oceanic Excursion

Oceanic Islander

Cressi Travelight

2013 Aqua Lung Zuma

ScubaPro Go (price is higher than i'm aiming for)

I don't need the absolute lightest BC out there but don't want bulky armor as well.

Checked out the Zuma at a LDS and it's pretty nice. Compact and light.

Any opinions on those or maybe other suggestions?

Thanks

Last edited:
You're in a good part of the country to look at backplate/wing systems, so you should try one before you buy anything. Most gear purchases don't change your dive experience nearly as much as the manufacturers would like you to believe, but using a BP/W as opposed to a jacket-style BC really does make a big difference.

Too bad you're so far from marianna, you could go to cave adventurers; they have a great selection and the prices are excellent. But I'm sure there are lots of places close by.

To those readers who immediately object to a BP/W suggestion on a thread that clearly listed several recreational-style BCs, I apologize in advance.

Wow, It took only one post for the BP/W Crowd to jump in.

As to the OP question, my son likes the Zeagle Ranger.

Wow, It took only one post for the BP/W Crowd to jump in.

As to the OP question, my son likes the Zeagle Ranger.

In my defense, I did apologize! :D

And BTW the zeagle ranger is probably not a good choice for warm water recreational diving. Less is more when it comes to BCs.

My wife uses an Islander and IMO its a fantastic recreational BC. I have used it a couple of times and really enjoy it, keep in mind I use BP/W.

The Islander is light (great for travel) with a clean and open chest area. I cant comment on the rest. The SP Litehawk is also very, very good but costly.

Yes I am a dealer so let's get that out of the way. Based on your requirements and guessing at what you want to stay near price wise the Edge T2 would fit the bill nicely. I have sold a few of these to divers in the same category as yourselves and those who went that way love em.
Normally I would also recommend you look at the Zeagle Express Tech but I get the feeling that you would not want to mess with going thru the mods that would make it practical for your use.

It is weight integrated back inflate with a drop down pocket that is actually useful. It has loops to position locking type caribiners so that you can use only what you need and place them where you need them. Lightweight, low cost, and well made. So throwing that in as an option.

BTW too many d rings can be a downside to a BC. People feel like they need to hang something off of every one of them and end up a royal mess.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Thx for the recommendation Jim. That BC sounds good. I,m not really wanting too many D-Rings, just enough of them at the right places.

I was at the local Divers Direct store today and was checking out BC's and really liked the new Aqua Lung Zuma. It was light weight (very light actually), and not bulky in any way (it rolls up very nicely, compact) and just enough D-rings in the right places.:D

Anyone have any experience with them?

Last edited:
Too bad you're so far from marianna, you could go to cave adventurers; they have a great selection and the prices are excellent. But I'm sure there are lots of places close by.

But he is close to Dive Gear Express and they are a Hollis, Hog, and Dive Rite dealer. So he can see a BP&W and they start at $ 300.

---------- Post added October 16th, 2013 at 04:30 PM ----------

The SP Litehawk is also very, very good but costly.

I would check with either Leisurepro or Beaver Divers. If he is buying two BCs I am sure they would be more than willing to knock-off more than a few dollars. Remember MAP stands for Minimum ADVERTISED Price, what something sells for is between you and the dealer.

---------- Post added October 16th, 2013 at 04:35 PM ----------

I was at the local Divers Direct store today and was checking out BC's and really liked the new Aqua Lung Zuma. It was light weight (very light actually), and not bulky in any way (it rolls up very nicely, compact) and just enough D-rings in the right places.:D

I have no experience with it so I looked it up online. Scuba.com says it is new for 2014 and that the new version is $400. My only advice is if you are buying the old 2013 version then you should get a hefty discount.

I have no experience with it so I looked it up online. Scuba.com says it is new for 2014 and that the new version is $400. My only advice is if you are buying the old 2013 version then you should get a hefty discount.
I think I made a mistake. Looking at the 2013 models and the one I saw today they don't match. I think what I looked at today was the 2014, it was going for $375 I think.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom