Need a little advice on BC selection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm really not a fan of back inflate BC's but... if you want something light and cheap and to have all the floatation behind you and in a position that will NOT support you comfortably while you sit on the surface on a south florida drift dive waiting for a pick up Why not look at a light weight BP/W?

My wife uses an Islander and IMO its a fantastic recreational BC. I have used it a couple of times and really enjoy it, keep in mind I use BP/W.

The Islander is light (great for travel) with a clean and open chest area. I cant comment on the rest. The SP Litehawk is also very, very good but costly.

The SP Litehawk is actually going for $199. Not bad. It's got a ton of lift, which is probably overkill in my case. It lacks integrated weights, $80 option. It's maybe more streamlined than I'd like but a possibility. The Air2 version is $349. That would eliminate my decision to go with the AL Titan LX with free octo and maybe steer me towards the Atomic Z2. Decisions, decisions.

Thanks

---------- Post added October 16th, 2013 at 10:06 PM ----------

I'm really not a fan of back inflate BC's but... if you want something light and cheap and to have all the floatation behind you and in a position that will NOT support you comfortably while you sit on the surface on a south florida drift dive waiting for a pick up Why not look at a light weight BP/W?
The BP/W option keeps coming up and even though I'm not very familiar with them I'm more prone to go with a style that is familiar to me hence the "jacket style" rear inflation BC.

I don't know how accommodating BP/W are to attachments but I do use some like SMB, whistle, light, some camera attachments in addition to camera and knife from time to time. It's not a lot of stuff but I do like to have somewhere to put them.

I'm not at the minimalist mode of diving "yet". I just want a "lighter" version of jacket BC I guess.

Last edited:
+1 for the Islander. I love mine. Lightweight but well made. My first and only BCD. Plenty of loops for attachments/d-rings that are showing no signs of wear after 4 years.

The BP/W option keeps coming up and even though I'm very familiar with them I'm more prone to go with a style that is familiar to me hence the "jacket style" rear inflation BC. I don't know how accommodating BP/W are to attachments but I do use some like SMB, whistle, light, some camera attachments in addition to camera and knife from time to time. It's not a lot of stuff but I do like to have somewhere to put them.

I'm not at the minimalist mode of diving "yet". I just want a "lighter" version of jacket BC I guess.

You are in the mode of "Christmas Tree" driving. Dangling everything off a BC where it creates drag and presents an entanglement hazard. Think of all the equipment cave divers and tech divers carry and they use backplates and wings. People are suggesting this to you because they are modular, adaptable, and hold their value well. I think the deal on the Litehawk is excellent but I would caution you to keep the regs and octo the same brand because it can create a servicing issue if the dive shop is not a dealer for both brands.

The SP Litehawk is actually going for $199. Not bad. It's got a ton of lift, which is probably overkill in my case. It lacks integrated weights, $80 option. It's maybe more streamlined than I'd like but a possibility. The Air2 version is $349. That would eliminate my decision to go with the AL Titan LX with free octo and maybe steer me towards the Atomic Z2. Decisions, decisions.

Thanks

---------- Post added October 16th, 2013 at 10:06 PM ----------

The BP/W option keeps coming up and even though I'm not very familiar with them I'm more prone to go with a style that is familiar to me hence the "jacket style" rear inflation BC.

I don't know how accommodating BP/W are to attachments but I do use some like SMB, whistle, light, some camera attachments in addition to camera and knife from time to time. It's not a lot of stuff but I do like to have somewhere to put them.

Have you used a back inflate BC yet?

You are in the mode of "Christmas Tree" driving. Dangling everything off a BC where it creates drag and presents an entanglement hazard. Think of all the equipment cave divers and tech divers carry and they use backplates and wings. People are suggesting this to you because they are modular, adaptable, and hold their value well. I think the deal on the Litehawk is excellent but I would caution you to keep the regs and octo the same brand because it can create a servicing issue if the dive shop is not a dealer for both brands.

I mistakenly said I was familiar with BP/W. That was a typo. I'm NOT very familiar with those.

The Reg combo I was looking into was the AL Titan LX with a free AL octo. It's a deal AL has going this month. Saves me $400 total on 2 sets.

The "Christmas Tree" term I have heard before. I try not to be a ornament holder but I cant help myself.:D I don't really attach much, just a couple of things at one time. I'm going for the lighter BC for that reason, bulk reduction but I'm still apprehensive to the BP/W just because it seems so foreign to me.

In the end I will most likely be going with the lightweight back inflator BC. I just want one that has what I'm looking for and I've been given many contenders to think about in this thread and for that I am thankful. Now I must decide.

Take a ride to Pompano and check out Dive Gear Express for your own education. The decision is yours but we want you to be well informed.

The Reg combo I was looking into was the AL Titan LX with a free AL octo. It's a deal AL has going this month. Saves me $400 total on 2 sets.

The "Christmas Tree" term I have heard before. I try not to be a ornament holder but I cant help myself.:D I don't really attach much, just a couple of things at one time. I'm going for the lighter BC for that reason, bulk reduction but I'm still apprehensive to the BP/W just because it seems so foreign to me.

I think it's a good choice on the regulator; the titan is a perennial best buy with a decades-long proven design.

By far the best thing you could do regarding the BC is to try a BP/W to get more familiar with them, before you buy anything. Don't listen to the nonsense about not being comfortable at the surface. That's a myth that seems to never die. The basic idea behind the BP/W is that you have a large rigid surface to attach the tank to, thereby spreading out the point of contact of the cylinder to a large area of your back. This makes the cylinder far more stable and generally comfortable in the water. You also have only a webbing harness on your torso which provides a nice feeling of freedom and lack-of-clutter right where it counts.

Probably as you get more dive experience you'll learn to take less 'stuff' with you. BP/W systems do have D rings for attaching lots of gear should you need it. Don't forget that this is what technical divers generally use, and they carry lots of extra gear.

"yet" LOL !

Given your location and ability to do a lot of local diving, go with something durable.

Someone made a good suggestion to go to Dive Gear Express. I believe they are pretty close to Palm Beach.

If you don't want to go BP/W, take a look at the Dive Rite Transpac or Travelpac. It's a back inflate like you are looking for, but it is modular so you can add or remove pockets, padding, etc., as needed. I happily dove one for 10 yrs.

Inherent buoyancy is also something to consider. Padding feels nice on land when wearing a T-shirt, but is not needed UW. The padding adds buoyancy that will need to be offset by adding lead. Less lead will help your diving control and positioning.

Whichever BCD you end up with, I recommend using a crotch strap. It really stabilizes things and prevents the BCD from riding up.

Last edited:
"yet" LOL !

Given your location and ability to do a lot of local diving, go with something durable.

Someone made a good suggestion to go to Dive Gear Express. I believe they are pretty close to Palm Beach.

If you don't want to go BP/W, take a look at the Dive Rite Transpac or Travelpac. It's a back inflate like you are looking for, but it is modular so you can add or remove pockets, padding, etc., as needed. I happily dove one for 10 yrs.

Inherent buoyancy is also something to consider. Padding feels nice on land when wearing a T-shirt, but is not needed UW. The padding adds buoyancy that will need to be offset by adding lead. Less lead will help your diving control and positioning.

Whichever BCD you end up with, I recommend using a crotch strap. It really stabilizes things and prevents the BCD from riding up.

Dog gone it, ok. I will look into the BP/W setup and Transpac. Talk about peer pressure.

I happen to be headed in the direction of Dive Gear Express so I will check them this weekend.

I'm assuming you need a weight belt when using these or do they have weight pockets?

Edit: Cancel that. They are closed on weekends.
:mad: Not sure when I'll be able to make it by there but maybe tomorrow, maybe next week.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom