need a good travel reg/setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm going to be backpacking south east asia for 4 months. I will be doing my dive master as well (don't know where). I need something light and easy to pack. I plan to take all my gear carry on. Will replace all the hoses with miflex hoses. Also I will be dive a lot and in remote places so something that can go a while between servicing and can be serviced easily will be important. Lastly cost is always a factor :) would like to spend around $500.

So far I'm considering:
1. Apeks flight : seems ideal but the hoses are not easy to replace. and Cant seem to find too much info or anyone selling them.
2. HOG : cheap and great reviews. cons: prob no one there will know how to service them. also don't know how many dives i can go without servicing.
3. Hollis Dc2 212 : cheap and seems to get good reviews. Cons: no clue about servicing.
4. Apeks xtx 200: might just go all out and get something top of the line. might be too big and is pricey....
5. Apeks xtx 50: cheaper.

ANY info or insight is greatly appreciated.

THANKS!

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the Flight and the Hollis use non standard hoses, which would rule them out for me.

Adam

I have thought about this, and have come to the following conclusions.

1. Between the lightest and the heaviest reg there will be a maximum of 2 lbs difference in weight
2. Miflex L.P hoses are not appreciably lighter than standard. The only huge difference is on the high pressure hose in terms of weight (100grams lighter).
3. You will probably take your reg as carry on, so it will not impact on your 20kg allowance.
4. Choose a reg you like that performs well, and has spare parts/service centers in the locations you are planning to visit, probably the most important consideration.
5. Avoid non standard gear, for which parts could be an issue.

I have experimented and weighed heaps of equipment, and in the end came to the conclusion that I should have just stuck to my original reg, and carried it in hand luggage.
Enjoy your travels.

You should also note that the XTX200 and XTX50 are very close to internally identical. If you don't want to pay extra for the look of the XTX200, then you won't notice a difference in breathing and reliability.

That said, the first stages of the XTX50, XTX100 and XTX200 are slightly different. The hose routing is slightly better on the XTX100 and XTX200; but this shouldn't be much of an issue unless you're doing technical diving, are really picky or have deep pockets.

I would like to note that I use a set of HOG regs and I think they're fantastic. I've breathed them side-by-side with an XTX100 and was unable to tell a difference. You could also buy about two full sets of HOG regs for the price of a single apeks rig.

Depending on whee you live, you might be able to take a class and learn how to maintain these regs. You would then be able to carry spare parts with you and not have to worry about finding a repair shop at all. The notable disadvantages here are cost (the class and tools) and the prerequisite of being a technical diver (although "Intro to Tech" classes count and are worthwhile either way). You would also be required to cart the tools and parts with you.

There are quite a lot of good regs around but the ones that come to mind for travel n are easy to service here in Asia are:

Scubapro Mk17/G250G
Apeks DS4/XTX50

Personally I prefer the DS4 cus it's so cheap n it's been around for such a long time almost everywhere has parts for it and their 2nd stage is cheaper too.

Cheers,

SangP

Some Airlines now weigh hand luggage so that can be an issue as well.
If you are taking photogear then space in hand luggage can become an issue.

I agree the non standard hoses is an issue, thats why I am giving up my beloved AIR2.
Bulky 2nd stages are a bit of a pain, regulator sets are difficult to pack.

As strange as it may seem my buisness wheely hand luggage would be great for flying, On buisness trips I travel with that and a small backpack for my PC. It never gets weighed. I am sure I could pack a BP/W, mask, regulators, housing, ports, camera, lenses and strobes, all into the one bag. I am not sure I could pick it up, at least 20Kg, or what the security guys would make of it, but it is a tempting solutuion. The question is would they believe that the wife and I were going out on buisness.

Though I would still have the problems on Air Asia flights in the far east.

As far as long intervals without rebuilt, I have had luck with a Aqualung Conshelfs. If I am not mistaken the Titans are very similar.

Cressi MC5 Ellipse Steel 1.2lbs...great reg. (IMO) better than the mares rebel and aqualung titan I have previously tested.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the Flight and the Hollis use non standard hoses, which would rule them out for me.

Adam

What is it that would make a hose non standard?

I know one of my Conshelfs uses a 1/2" diameter LP hose which is probably considered non standard now. I just carry an Apex port adapter in my kit so I could substitute a standard hose if required.

What is it that would make a hose non standard?

I know one of my Conshelfs uses a 1/2" diameter LP hose which is probably considered non standard now. I just carry an Apex port adapter in my kit so I could substitute a standard hose if required.

I believe the problem is the fitting to either the 1st or 2nd stage, so if you wanted to swap to a Miflex hose, for example, it would not be possible.

Someone who has the Hollis or Flight may be able to provide better info on this.

Adam

Some regs use a quick connect to the second stage, Apex flight is one. Thus if you need to replace a hose you have to find an Apex dealer.
I like the idea but how do you add an elbow, or get a longer hose. No I will stick to standard hose fittings for travel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom