need a good travel reg/setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know about Canada, but from what I've read, here in the U.S. all warranty work is done by returning it to them - in Spain.

Also they don't ship to North America or Australia any more.

really an xtx20 is the same? the flat head is $600!

I am not sure about the XTX line but on the TX line, the difference between the TX-20 and the TX-40 is a brass heat exchanger for cold water use, The TX-50 adds an adjustment screw.

I have not used any of the new Zeagles so I cannot attest to their performance but looking at their website it seems like there is only a pound or so difference between the LT and the other regs of their line. The Envoy Resort is only .02 lb heavier than the LT and is $260 US. Check out Zeagle Express.

Zeagle also sells parts and you can purchase a DVD on how to repair it. If you have the parts then a reg tech should be able to fix it if something goes wrong in the field. I would not recommend you fixing it yourself unless you have done it before and know what you are doing. Reg repair is not rocket science but it is not something you want to try for the first time in order to make a dive the next day.

Also if someone says Zeagle's are made by Aqualung that is untrue. They used to sell re-badged Apeks regs but have not done so for a decade or so.

I think even a machine would have a hard time telling the difference between a US4/XTX20 and any of the more expensive Regs you mentioned.
In fact the unsealed non turret US4 actually has a higher flow rate than the turreted version (when the turret is out of alignment with the ports).
The 2nd stages are identical, performance wise. The more expensive versions adding a heat exchanger and knob.
Save some $ and weight, the 20 is a great reg.

I'm going to be backpacking south east asia for 4 months. I will be doing my dive master as well (don't know where). I need something light and easy to pack. I plan to take all my gear carry on. Will replace all the hoses with miflex hoses. Also I will be dive a lot and in remote places so something that can go a while between servicing and can be serviced easily will be important. Lastly cost is always a factor :) would like to spend around $500.

So far I'm considering:
1. Apeks flight : seems ideal but the hoses are not easy to replace. and Cant seem to find too much info or anyone selling them.
2. HOG : cheap and great reviews. cons: prob no one there will know how to service them. also don't know how many dives i can go without servicing.
3. Hollis Dc2 212 : cheap and seems to get good reviews. Cons: no clue about servicing.
4. Apeks xtx 200: might just go all out and get something top of the line. might be too big and is pricey....
5. Apeks xtx 50: cheaper.

ANY info or insight is greatly appreciated.

THANKS!

1) Apeks 'Flight'.....do ya REALLY want a special reg with proprietary/unique hoses, could make servicing/repairs 'interesting'.
2) HOG... ???? maybe in 10-20 more years HOG will a modestly common reg over on the other side of the planet, servicing one today could be an 'issue'.
3) Hollis regs....see 'HOG regs' above.
4) Apeks XTX 200....I think we just blew past your budget limits!
5) Apeks XTX 50, not super sure about servicing availability in remote Asia, but of all the regs you've mentioned, go for this one.

Among my favorite regs are my (2) Apeks XTX200's they're quite awesme regs, and as I always bring 2 regs on all my trips, breakdowns/servicing are never an issue while on a trip...plus they've never had any performance/mechanical issues anyway!

I've also got (2) 'older' (pre 2008 redesign) Aqualung Titan LX's, and if I were in your shoes, and had to pick amongst all my regs which ones to take, factoring in widely available parts/servicing and simple reliability, it would be my Titan LX's.

I live and work all over asia, you are not gonna find parts or service for any of those regs EVERYWHERE.
Get yourself some nice cheap Mares RD-2 `s.
they are used in schools and shops all over asia. I can rebuild first stage in 15 minutes, second stage in 20. Okay not high performance, not flashy, I do not travel with my good regs...Ever think of theft when traveling ? MUCH more likely then at home....I had serious problems getting parts and service for my scuba pro, oceanic, and apeks regs in different places and times....You will ALLWAYS find Mares, BTW NOT my favorite brand but I do own four sets (Abyss). Stick to the mainstream for this one....SERVICE AND PARTS !!!!!
Two of them on my twinset in avatar....
Also as scuba fanatic said and I agree, you will see a lot of titans.

Last edited:
I agree with the previous poster--it's not a good idea to take a 1.5 thousand dollar titanium reg when traveling. It's not just the risk of loss and theft, but also extra anxiety that it may get lost or stolen. There's already enough anxiety when traveling why add, just to save a pound of weight.

Adam

Dont like the idea of cheap mares regs might as well just use whatever the rental places have. As for Asia it is not that remote all the DM i know in indo. and thailand use apeks....

The Mikron is a nice reg. My wife has one. It's light, it breathes well, servicing is available at a lot of places and the price was great. I won it at a dive club raffle for $10. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom