Need A Couple Questions Answered.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ok so i'm a little confused again. got a quote yesterday on some gear. one of which was the halcyon infinity BP/W setup. I know the Infinity is only a single tank wing. but the guy told me that the this harness and back plate could not be used for doubles. i assumed that all one would need would be a new doubles wing. Does Halcyon make different back plates for singles and doubles? i thought it was one plate with a STA?

Aquarius Scuba Diving Center - Infinity BC System w/Cinch Harness

ok so i'm a little confused again. got a quote yesterday on some gear. one of which was the halcyon infinity BP/W setup. I know the Infinity is only a single tank wing. but the guy told me that the this harness and back plate could not be used for doubles. i assumed that all one would need would be a new doubles wing. Does Halcyon make different back plates for singles and doubles? i thought it was one plate with a STA?

I Agree. Tobin was great. Gave me a real lesson in diving dynamics and buoyancy. the only variable is the drysuit i dont own yet. the could cause a problem with wing sizing. however tobin feels id be fine with a 35lbs wing. the weight plates are a great product. im surprised more brands arent doing it. Like I said before. my only issues is the distance and getting it across the border. Ièm almost tempted to buy the HOG setup that is available to me right now, while i wait. lol.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ge...cussions/437555-older-dive-rite-question.html

I'm equally confused too but it's got nothing to do with the wings or plate but rather are you planning to dive or open a dive shop?

I take it you haven't dove in the soft pac you bought yet and already you are asking for more advice on a bp/w.

Since, you are set on getting a Halcyon rig despite speaking to Tobin and the rest of the guys...

A plate is a plate is a plate, nothing more nothing less, a harness is a harness is a harness too. Both do nothing more then act as a platform to which you add different wings etc.

Standard plate/standard harness + singles wing = singles tank rig
Standard plate/standard harness + doubles wing = double tank rig.

"the guy told me that the this harness and back plate could not be used for doubles. i assumed that all one would need would be a new doubles wing"

How why would you choose to buy equipment from a person who according to you appears to know nothing about a bp/w? Whatever happen to all the great advice and info Tobin shared with you?

I take it you are not exactly the patient sort but if you choose not to rely on the knowledge that Tobin has provided and mix in hogwash from a H seller you are going to remain confused...

My 2 tiny cents... I say it the way I see it.

i've dove the soft pack 3 times. i like it. altho it feels a little small for me, and rides up. I've rigged a cratch strap that i'm hoping to try tomorrow. But i paid next to nothing for it, and bought it just for the hell of it. Just so i would be able to dive without having to get gear from the shop every time. i'm still looking to purchase a NEW BP/W and Regs setup. And if i could get DSS's rig here in canada, i'd buy it. I'm not an impatient person. But i am hoping i can get inside of canada. I'm new to diving. hence all the questions. I spoke with Aquarius in the Toronto area, around the same time i was speaking to Dans. days before i had spoken with Tobin. At that time i was asking about the Halcyon Infinity. He asked me to email him the items i was interested in. i did. he never replied, so i called yesterday. His prices on the Apeks regs were great, but then he started telling me that that particular system from halcyon could not work with doubles, even with a doubles wing installed. I was confused. i asked the question.

And just for the record. these harness systems are not that straight forward. As i've learned from many of you as well as Tobin. Some plates have different profiles. some need STA's, some dont. There are harnesses that require plates. some are packs that dont require plates. some are packs that can use a plate if you want. then theres sidemount rigs that can also back mount. FYI. theres alot of different products out there. Alot of the info is sketchy and hard to understand without asking someone with person experience with the product. Experience that I personally do not have, or I wouldnt have to ask the question. I thought thats why these types Forums exist.

Sorry if my questions about the gear are repetitive and/or stupid. My problem is exactly what i just explained. there is just so many products available, and every time i do research, i find something else that sounds like what im looking for. I know that to Most of you experienced divers, The basic harness and back plate is the way to go. And i'm sure its my inexperience causing me to worry that I am maybe looking too go TEK, too quick. Hell, i've almost talked myself out of a BP/W altogether...lol. I'm not interested in Halcyon at all. I'm interested in getting the adjustability, easy Donning and Doffing, padding and other BS that i probably wont need, but if nothing else, makes me think its suitable for a novice diver. Ideally, i'd like for someone to just tell me. THIS IS WHAT YOU NEED. and i'd just buy it.

There is not such thing as "THIS IS WHAT YOU NEED, BUY IT!" if you find such a shop u better run as far away from it as possible.

Seriously a lot of advice have been provided already by of all people Tobin and the rest of the guys. What is so difficult to comprehend?

Some wings need an sta some not, get the wing with the features u like... If the wing u like needs an sta get one...
Some plates are slightly different then others find one that fits the wing you like, has the right bend n mounting holes etc...
Get a hog or comfort harness, rarely does a harness fail. I've yet to see one nor any of my instructors or dm friends etc.

Then compile what you want/need and find a company/store that has the things u want/need.

A bp/w is already one of the simplest setups u can get and if you did a side by side comparisons of all the brands u have been told about you'll really find only minor differences. Get the one you like within your budget n go dive. In time you'll find out what your really like and then go spurge in that direction.

I've gone through 5 different plates, 4 different singles wings and now I've designed my own sm harness and looking for the best wing for it.

Getting an expensive setup only to sell it for something else seems pointless IMO. Getting the most expensive setup only to find it replaced by something more interesting later n selling it is also pointless.

Get something basic and good to horn your skills first then look for what you want after. You don't really know what you want yet so it's pointless to keep looking for features that might or might not be a benefit to you later. Tobin had provided u with a lot of good advice and I don't see the whole need to get in Canada issue.

Your questions are repetitive but not stupid. I bought my DSS rig with less than 20 dives and have no intention of getting into tech.

This is what you need:
-Pick a brand. I opted for DSS based on reviews here and have never regretted it.

-buy a plate. If the brand you choose has options, pick the one that suits your diving NOW. If and when you decide to go the tech route, get one that suits your needs then.

-get a 12' piece of 2" webbing. It's easily adjustable, it's simple, and what you need for now. You don't need to clutter it with D-rings, padding, or quick releases. A D-ring on each shoulder, a D-ring on either side of the waist belt, a front and rear D-ring on the crotch strap. That is more than you'll ever need. That's 6, I've never used more than 3 or 4. If later you decide that you want a fancy harness with padding, no big deal, you're out $20. But I think you'll be surprised at how comfortable it is on its own.

-buy a wing. Again get one that suits your needs NOW. You need less of a wing than you think. Based on your conversation with Tobin, what size wing did he suggest? Listen to him he knows what he's talking about.

Why can't you get a DSS rig in Canada? Is it because there's no dealers, or because Tobin won't ship to Canada? If that's the case ship it to me, I'll forward it to you, or send it home with my parents and have them ship it from Ontario(Canada not California) next month.

you can use the same plate, harness for double. You just need to buy a doubles wing, it does not have to be halcyon double wing either. However, I don't recommend cinch with double setup. The lower bolt lengthened diameter will be a tricky or frustrated.

I'll add another 2 more cents...

No dive gear will make you a better diver, my instructor could do cartwheels and remain almost motionless in almost any position and she was using a transpac I suspect she could use pretty much anything and do it just as well. I've also seen a diver with a halcyon bcd, force fins, scubapro regs etc etc sink ass first into the sand n then proceed to bang everything in sight while bobbing up and down like a yo yo.

Regardless, you are set on getting something good so why not just settle on a H or DSS?

The problem is that i dont have anything available to me to try. none of the dive shops here stock BP/Ws. the only plate i've ever seen is the HOG, and the apeks one the guy at the LDS uses. So i'm relying purely on the info i receive here, to make a decision on what suits me and my diving skills and conditions, best.

The shipping costs and time frame involved in getting it across the border, are the biggest draw backs with Tobins rig. there are dealers in canada. in ontario mostly. But no one stocks anything anymore.

As for brand. i'm liking the Apeks xtx-50 Regs. Anyone have any experience with their plates. i know they make a WTX harness thats pricey. one of the guys at my LDS dive their plate and basic harness. he likes it.

I recomend getting a wing for each don't try and get both out of one. I really like my Hollis Elite II BP/W.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom