Need A Couple Questions Answered.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you don't know what IP creep is, why it's important, and how to check for it do you think you should even be doing deeper dives?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I know of divers who go to 40m who have no idea what a piston or diaphragm is, never heard of O2 toxicity or will ever take a nitrox course... Personally I don't care much if they choose how or what to do so long as they don't become my problem should I dive with them.

The fact adamp69 is asking so many questions is commendable as at least he shows the willingness to learn.

Here's a crash course on reg history and differences wiki style lol:
Diving regulator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reg servicing 101
SCUBA REG MAINTENANCE AND REPAIR Excerpts

cheers

Thanks SangP.

PADI says you can go right into your Advanced open water, as soon as you finish Open Water. I actually wanted to get in on the AOW course right away, but missed out due to a sinus infection. Looking back, i'm glad i missed it. the 25-30 dives i've logged in the past 2 months have not only made me a better diver. but also given me a chance to develop a bigger respect for the pressures of diving, and how easily things can go pear shaped. unfortunately, the different types of equipment, and their workings are not part of the courses. thats where these sites come in. I get to learn from asking questions to people who probably have more knowledge about diving than i ever will. and by learning from you guys, i get to see how full of ****, some of the ppl at the dive shops are.
in any case, i enjoy diving, and i enjoy learning all i can about the equipment im using. hence, i enjoy this site.

Had a couple 50ft dives today. both my dive rite regs free flow when pointing up. i have a leak in the joint of my pressure gauge. cant tell if its the hose or the gauge. both are pretty worn. could be just a bad O-ring. the wing and my DIY crotch strap worked great, but it still feels too small. so it looks like i'll be renting again tomorrow...lol.

Thanks SangP.

PADI says you can go right into your Advanced open water, as soon as you finish Open Water. I actually wanted to get in on the AOW course right away, but missed out due to a sinus infection. Looking back, i'm glad i missed it. the 25-30 dives i've logged in the past 2 months have not only made me a better diver. but also given me a chance to develop a bigger respect for the pressures of diving, and how easily things can go pear shaped. unfortunately, the different types of equipment, and their workings are not part of the courses. thats where these sites come in. I get to learn from asking questions to people who probably have more knowledge about diving than i ever will. and by learning from you guys, i get to see how full of ****, some of the ppl at the dive shops are.
in any case, i enjoy diving, and i enjoy learning all i can about the equipment im using. hence, i enjoy this site.

Had a couple 50ft dives today. both my dive rite regs free flow when pointing up. i have a leak in the joint of my pressure gauge. cant tell if its the hose or the gauge. both are pretty worn. could be just a bad O-ring. the wing and my DIY crotch strap worked great, but it still feels too small. so it looks like i'll be renting again tomorrow...lol.

That is actually not unusual and does not indicate a problem per se, but can be adjusted out. Is there any sort of venturi control on the regs? If so, I would play with the "user adjustments" first, and if you can't make it go away, take it into the shop for a tweak.

yeah, both the regs have adjustment, as well as a little switch that goes from dive to pre-dive. should pre-dive stop air completely? if so, then the switch isnt working. and i was thinking about the adjustment earlier. i believe they may be set really high, cuz i like having the reg almost force air in my lungs. lol.

It's a trade off for sure, between how you want them to breathe and tendency to free flow. My Apeks flows fairly easily at the surface with the venturi closed and the reg upside down. I have never had an issue at depth though.

That control is not intended to stop the flow completely, although you CAN get inline valves that will allow you to do so.

oh ok. so the pre-dive valve would have kind of the same effect as turning the adjustment way down?

Turning your reg up at shallow depths create upwards pressure on the diaphragm similar to the suction effect as you breath from it. In currents the suction effect on the vents also create a similar effect and in both case, can cause a free flow.

A simple turn reg mouth downwards with a 2 finger tap/block against the mouth piece will usually stop it. Yes, like turning the venturi knob down.

That's why there's a difference between rec and technical diving, we usually tune down the reg cus a free flow in cold could be catastrophic as it could freeze the reg and deeper dives in currents could cause free flows as well.

As for the bcd, if the wing feels fine why not save some $ and just get a plate and harness? Just make sure the holes spacing on the wing is 11"

oh ok. so the pre-dive valve would have kind of the same effect as turning the adjustment way down?

Yepper doodle.

Sorry if my questions about the gear are repetitive and/or stupid. My problem is exactly what i just explained. there is just so many products available, and every time i do research, i find something else that sounds like what im looking for. I know that to Most of you experienced divers, The basic harness and back plate is the way to go. And i'm sure its my inexperience causing me to worry that I am maybe looking too go TEK, too quick. Hell, i've almost talked myself out of a BP/W altogether...

Aquarius is my "home" LDS. I like them a lot.

I've also been lucky enough to try a Halcyon Infinity BP/W that I borrowed from a friend. Took a bit of getting used to, but I liked it. Instructor says I can dive with whatever works for me, but if I want to go the DM / instructor route, I'll need to wear what the students are wearing -- i.e. a jacket BCD. Makes sense, but in the meantime, I'm hoping to try the BP/W a few more times. Fortunately for me, my buddy's in no hurry to get it back. He seems to prefer flying for some reason ... :idk:

And don't be sorry about asking questions. I'm not all that experienced either, but I'd echo the suggestion that you try a few different setups, if you can, and see what works for you. I'm still figuring stuff out myself. For instance, I've been advised not to waste money on a wetsuit if I want to do a lot of diving up here. I haven't tried a drysuit yet, but everyone says once you dive dry, you never want to do back. Fair enough, but does a BP/W setup work better with a drysuit?

Ideally, I'd be able to try it out and then try it with a conventional BCD, but in the interim, I'd be interested in hearing what more experienced divers think. :dork2:

Sol,

A bp/w will work in whatever exposure suit you are using wet or dry.

If you are going the dm/instructors route it is advisable that you wear a jacket however, there are dive shops/schools that teach the students bp/w or a back inflate from day one.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom