Necklace Bungee Knot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So you don't cable tie your mouthpiece to your regulator? Because that's what JackHammer and AJ are talking about.
Ooops; confused that with the necklace. Thanks for pointing that out.

Yes, the mouthpiece is always cable tied to the regulator.

The necklace bungee is opened, placed around the mouthpiece and tightened by pulling the two knots together.

I cable tie mine now, with a second cable tie behind the mouthpiece. I did have a secured knot which was generally fine, had a few unintended pop outs, but was OK. Then they were under the mouthpiece cable tie for a while, but when they last came back from service they weren't under the cable tie. I added a second tie further back on the reg frame behind the mouth piece, and it works perfectly for me, keeps the bungee out of my lips of I'm on my short hose so its a comfier breathe, and sits nice and tight.
Rich

@divezonescuba - I give you an:

A+ Grade for the courage to drill into a reg part, innocuous as a deflector may be.

B Grade for actual technique - bungee underneath the mouthpiece zip tie is what the smart kids do but yours will pass.

C Grade for the GoPro mount - any diver on a multi-hour dive is going to end up smashing his reg against the nearest hard thing in outright frustration to get that heavy GoPro beard off his jaw. I acknowledge that impressionable BOW divers that are smoked after 45 minutes of BT may think you are a GoPro Jedi.

D Grade for delivery. However, that could be an A Grade if you were trying to emulate a monotone 1960s Army safety briefing. It could rise to an A+ if you switch to black and white to be as retro as possible. If you were intending to be inspirational, suggest you watch some videos featuring David Lee Roth, Steve Tyler, Mick Jagger or Freddie Mercury for dynamic stage presence although Freddie’s boa or Steve’s assortment of rags may get in the way of seeing the reg. Or maybe just drink a cup of coffee before filming.

I think that all comes out to a C+.

Put the two ends of the bungee necklace under the mouthpiece ziptie. Simple and never had a problem with the reg slipping off the necklace.

I put the bungee under the cable tie that holds the mouthpiece on the reg. And pull it tight AF.

What he said. I find it more secure and easier
Yup, quick, painless, reliable, simple.

I switched to this method after getting tired of the knots on my bungee occasionally rotating to an uncomfortable spot against my lips during a dive.

I prefer having the bungee done up with the double fisherman knot as mentioned. I too have tried to secure it under the mouthpiece cable tie (as well as its own cable tie) and found the double fisherman to still be better. Securing under the mouthpiece has lead to the mouthpiece coming off (I have seen this on a few peoples systems).

Another reason why I like the double knot is that a few weeks ago it came undone as I started the dive. All I did was remove it (while hanging the reg where it is) and fix it on my descent by retying it. I later replaced it with a new bungee to tie a better knot and better necklace length, but at least I didn't need to whip out a cable tie.

But it is all about trial and error and what works for you.

Yup, quick, painless, reliable, simple.

I switched to this method after getting tired of the knots on my bungee occasionally rotating to an uncomfortable spot against my lips during a dive.
That was my reason as well. During a course the knot kept rubbing the corner of my mouth

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom