Necklace Bungee Knot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a few of these when trying different regs

full

It's a knot

If I'm not just unscrewing and changing the regs underwater

Perhaps I don't understand. Why do you need to remove the necklace from the reg?
If it catches on a snag I want it to come off rather than pull my neck towards whatever it is caught on.

Bascially I want everything fastened in such a way that it does not come off in regular use but can be pulled apart or cut apart in an emergency.

I zip tie it and leave one end un-knotted, any hard tug will have it slip off in an emergency.
That would work too.

If it catches on a snag I want it to come off rather than pull my neck towards whatever it is caught on.

Bascially I want everything fastened in such a way that it does not come off in regular use but can be pulled apart or cut apart in an emergency.

The converse is if I need air, I want to make sure I have a functioning regulator right where I can get it. Avoiding an entanglement that causes your neck pulled towards the entanglement can be resolved with proper length hoses and some basic awareness.

A few days ago I literally saw a guy that had a second stage failure on his primary reg due to debris blocking the exhaust mushroom valve. Every breath he tried to get from it was wet. If he had a second stage pop loose from his necklace bungee, and he didn't have someone nearby that could have helped him, the outcome could have been different.

Another reason why I like the double knot is that a few weeks ago it came undone as I started the dive.
All I did was remove it (while hanging the reg where it is) and fix it on my descent by retying it. I later replaced it with a new bungee to tie a better knot and better necklace length, but at least I didn't need to whip out a cable tie.

But it is all about trial and error and what works for you.
idk man seems like that doesn’t work too well.

The converse is if I need air, I want to make sure I have a functioning regulator right where I can get it. Avoiding an entanglement that causes your neck pulled towards the entanglement can be resolved with proper length hoses and some basic awareness.

A few days ago I literally saw a guy that had a second stage failure on his primary reg due to debris blocking the exhaust mushroom valve. Every breath he tried to get from it was wet. If he had a second stage pop loose from his necklace bungee, and he didn't have someone nearby that could have helped him, the outcome could have been different.
A couple of weeks ago, I was in Little River when the flow was really kicking. I was dropping my O2 bottle off while trying to not get blown out of the cave. My primary reg started breathing wet until one breath was all water. Thankfully my other reg was right where I hung it on its necklace and not flapping behind me in the current. My mask was also flooding pretty badly so I couldn't see **** at the moment.

Once I got my O2 bottle clipped off and everything else sorted out, my primary reg was breathing normally again so I was able to go off and have a nice dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom