Necklace and donating concerns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Laser:
I'd recommend replacing the 5 ft hose with a 7 ft hose. I have used the 5 and found it difficult compared to the 7.

I use a 6 ft hose which seems to be just the right length for me (5'10", 195 lbs). Going to a 7 wouldn't gain me anything and would just add more hose to manage, going to a 5 and I doubt I could tuck it under my can light. YMMV.

Thanks for the comments.....

Well, to start I wasn't taught with this setup. I went to it because I liked the concepts and have over 60 or so dives with it. The only thing I have to go on is pictures and descriptions of what to do.....the video link is nice and all, but can't replace actually doing this.

During the OOA drills we did, I had no problem donating my primary..no entanglements etc, backup was in my mouth within seconds.....the whole purpose of donating this long hose, besides assuring a breathing working air source to the OOA diver, is to give you some working room between divers. It was kind of a CF because I wasn't exactly sure what to do with the slack...should my buddy be on my right side, left side....should we ascend side by side or facing each other...who takes up the slack?

Any other thoughts about using a 7' for plain open water diving? Instead of under my right armpit and across my chest, this would have to be routed under my little pouch thingie on my right side...whatever that is called and then over my chest and left shoulder...correct?

Thanks for all your help. I do like the setup, feels soo clean and natural...hehe

jepuskar:
Thanks for the comments.....

During the OOA drills we did, I had no problem donating my primary..no entanglements etc, backup was in my mouth within seconds.....the whole purpose of donating this long hose, besides assuring a breathing working air source to the OOA diver, is to give you some working room between divers. It was kind of a CF because I wasn't exactly sure what to do with the slack...should my buddy be on my right side, left side....should we ascend side by side or facing each other...who takes up the slack?

Some demonstrations would help here. What I do when a swim is involved (side by side) is have the OOA diver on the right so the hose comes behind the head and around the neck from the right just like when breathing off his own hose. The hose then comes streight off the donors valve or manifold and to the OOA diver. I don't know that there's a problem doing it the other way (OOA diver on the left) but then you don't have the benefit of the complete length of the hose and it's routed across the donors chest which can be inconvenient if you're wearing stage bottles or something.

If you're doing a direct ascent just do it face to face.

Bothe divers can manage any slack in the hose but I prefer the OOA diver to do it because he's the one who needs the reg.
Any other thoughts about using a 7' for plain open water diving? Instead of under my right armpit and across my chest, this would have to be routed under my little pouch thingie on my right side...whatever that is called and then over my chest and left shoulder...correct?

If I'm not using the can light as is sometimes the case when I dive someplace like Haigh I tuck it in my belt and push it as far back as I can get it.

Listen to the "bunny".
Take a deep breath (exhaling slowly) and then take care of your OOA buddy. Make sure he's (or she's) calmed down and has their wits about them, then pick up your backup reg and start breathing your gas. Access the situation and then proceed with the next step. (either head for the surface, the opening of the cave, or switch back and do another drill)

db

lamont:
I use a 6 ft hose which seems to be just the right length for me (5'10", 195 lbs). Going to a 7 wouldn't gain me anything and would just add more hose to manage, going to a 5 and I doubt I could tuck it under my can light. YMMV.

I'm 6'2" and with a 5 ft hose I could barely look to my left without the reg pulling.

Takeing a huge deep breath may not be the most apropriate thing to do b4 you donate your primary.

If you take a deep breath you go up...not good.

cdennyb:
Take a deep breath (exhaling slowly) and then take care of your OOA buddy.

You have the right idea, but you don't want to take a "deep" breath....if you absolutely need to, you want to take a normal regular, plain old breath, so you don't throw your buoyancy off and end up separated from the person you are trying to save. It is a minor, but important detail.

In reality, unless you are at the bottom of a complete exhale, I'd just give the guy your reg without taking another hit off of it. You'll only be without a regulator for maybe 5 seconds before you can get your backup in your mouth...

I don't know about you, but I can hold my breath without taking an unnaturally deep breath (ie. at half-lungs) for more than the 15 seconds this drill is likely to take.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom