Necessary equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LakeMountD

Registered
Reaction score
Okay I have fins, mask, snorkel, and depth/pressure/temp guages and I know i need a regulator.. what else is absolutely necessary? are the bouyancy vests necessary? i know i can rent a tank..

Ok,

Having answered your other basic question on regulators, I think you now need to explain why you are asking these questions. Have you ever taken a scuba class?

Mike

i am taking my class late january.. i dont mean what do i need to be able to dive lol.. im sorry for the way the question was worded.. i just meant what should i buy first.. i cant buy everything at once for i dont have the money.. so i was just seeing what should be the first things i buy :)..

I would wait until you take the class the things you will learn in class will give you a lot better idea about what is best for you.
joens

LakeMountD once bubbled...
i am taking my class late january.. i dont mean what do i need to be able to dive lol.. im sorry for the way the question was worded.. i just meant what should i buy first.. i cant buy everything at once for i dont have the money.. so i was just seeing what should be the first things i buy :)..

My 2 cents worth is this: don't buy anything before your class that you don't absolutely need. You might not like diving (or it might not like you) and you'd be stuck with stuff you can't use. For the class you need a mask, fins, snorkle and maybe boots/gloves if you live in a cold climate and that's it. The dive school will supply you with the rest for the course.

Go shopping after you get certified.

R..

See if the LDS will let you use different regulators and BC's during class. That will give you a "hands-on" trial of what is out there. Beware that the equipment may not be in tip-top shape and the new stuff may work a lot better.

for at least a little while. This is a way-expensive gear-intensive sport. You'll have lots of time to spend the rent money on new dive gear. For now, just buy what you have to for the course. After you get certified, then start thinking about buying instead of renting. Just be warned that many divers end up dumping on eBay some item of gear they thought they couldn't get by without six months earlier.

I find scuba gear is very personal as to what you end up liking.I like most the others didn't start buying till I knew I'd be doing this sport for a long time after my OW.About the only thing I'd say buy before class is a wetsuit or shortie if you can just cause of the eeeeew factor.But I'm a wee bit squeamish about those things you may not be.GOOD LUCK on your classes I find this is a non stop learning sport.

Jen

Sorry, been working, haven't had...chance...to.....rep...ly.:wink:

I didn't mean to sound difficult or anything, I was worried you were buying stuff to go diving and had no intention of taking a class.

Other than that, everyone else has given you great advice, I would definately use the rental gear until you get a feel for scuba.

Mike

Alot of people buy mountains of stuff they sell next year because they find that they have grown, new abilities, simplifing gear, or are changing directions in diving. Don't be in a hurry to buy the major things. There is always someone selling like new gear on the cheap. There is also the chance diving may not agree with you............Wait!
Wreck/Tec

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom