Necessary equipment advice for a new diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not yet certified
I think I really would like to start diving, but of course I have to consider practical problems: the cost of the equipment, the cost of the travels especially if abroad, and also the fact that my wife does only snorkeling and she would not like to start diving. This is a limitation because I can't spend too much time diving and Always leave her alone
So I planned to buy very basic equipment preferably compatible with snorkeling

mask, fins, and boots first in my opinion. proper fitment of these is super important. A constantly leaky mask isn't much fun especially right when you're getting into diving.

Eventually I bought a Scubapro frameless mask
The feeling is excellent, I am very happy of the purchase by now

I skimmed through this thread pretty fast so I may have missed it if it was already mentioned. Whatever mask you get, do yourself a favor and make sure you scrub the glass inside and out a few times, when you think its good to go, scrub it again. I use soft scrub and my fingers on a new mask and then some good defog. if after you clean it well and it still fogs up, you must scrub it again and defog again. Seeing is mostly why we dive and if you can't see then the dive becomes unenjoyable.

Ok, now that I have mask I also found fins I bought some time ago, the diving instructor said they are good "Seac" brand I forgot the model
Next step should be buying a wetsuit perhaps

...Next step should be buying a wetsuit perhaps

Where do you intend to dive? Wetsuits offer different levels of protection against the cold. The colder the water the more you need to spend until you get to cold water and need a drysuit. Personally I would wait and see what you think you might like to see when you have finished the course. A drysuit or good semi-dry is a good idea for Genoa for example but Taranto is going to be warmer.

I live in norther Italy (Milan) and the closest places to dive are mostly in Liguria, I also would like to try diving in Lake Como. There are nice diving spots in Sardinia and Sicily like Ustica or in Malta, and also in Tuscany (Giannutri, Pianosa, etc.)
I also travel abroad, this year I will be in the Philippines. As far as I know, those who dive in Liguria complain about semi-dry they say it is not enough and it is not worth the money in Liguria. Anyway just rumors
I will follow your suggestion, I will just wait and decide later on

I live in norther Italy (Milan) and the closest places to dive are mostly in Liguria,..

Como is cold but worth a look. We used to live in Cassina de' Pecchi so we have dived Como many times. Iseo is also an interesting dive. Best though is Garda. We dived with a Veronna dive shop - Attrezzature sub e subacquea tecnica - Negozio sub online The owner Max is very nice and they do a regular Sunday dive in Garda.

You absolutely need a drysuit for the lakes. There are a couple of places to dive where there are small features. Just North of Cernobbio (Via Regina) there is a parking place where you can get in the lake. There is a small Madonna there (lots of them in the Italian lakes). It is a very good place to practice skills, but not really very much to look at. All the lakes are very deep and can be dangerous. Iseo has a more suitable dive for new divers south of the cement factory on the SP469

The roads are busy in the summer and parking can be difficult though.

You know the places very well. If you happen to come back to Italy you can send me a PM :thumb:

Hello again...
I am considering buying fins with boots, I found Mares Plana Avanti and boots Seaboot Mare used like new
What do you think, are they good? Do you think I can buy used fins and boots or you would suggest avoiding that and buying new?

Back
Top Bottom