Necessary equipment advice for a new diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would like to buy this one, of course after trying it in person Cressi-Big-Eyes-Evolution
https://www.amazon.it/Cressi-Big-Eyes-Evolution-Disponibile/dp/B00II5THHG?th=1
I would like to buy it black, since you said some people don't like the feeling of the transparent ones
I noticed that there are 2 versions, normal lenses and HD lenses. What does it mean? Which ones you would suggest?
Also, some have mirrored lenses. Do you think they are useful?

No - trovata.
By "trovata" you mean "trovata pubblicitaria" or something like that? I suspect you mean "marketing fluff"

If I had it all over to do again after mask and fins the next thing I would buy would be a wrist mount computer. Not only will a computer keep you informed during a dive it will keep a record of your dives. Using a computer really helped me keep from ascending too fast on my first few dives.
Take your time buying gear, unless you want to buy more later after you realize what you really want.

I look at scuba like golf, the swing has much more to do with what the ball does than what club is used. Spend some time paying attention what others are using. The old faded and scratched up gear seems to work pretty well.

If I had it all over to do again after mask and fins the next thing I would buy would be a wrist mount computer. Not only will a computer keep you informed during a dive it will keep a record of your dives. Using a computer really helped me keep from ascending too fast on my first few dives.
Take your time buying gear, unless you want to buy more later after you realize what you really want.

I look at scuba like golf, the swing has much more to do with what the ball does than what club is used. Spend some time paying attention what others are using. The old faded and scratched up gear seems to work pretty well.

The first things I bought were mask, fins, boots....and like @Streydog suggested, it was a dive computer afterwards. While I knew I loved diving, I did not commit to gear until I was about in my mid to high 20's in dives. While that may not seem like a lot to some people who dive locally....I was and mostly continue to be a vacation diver. I rented gear for a while and you could say I sunk a bit of money into it but at the same time, I was able to use a lot of rental gear, know what I did and didn't like about some of that gear, and was also able to see what others were using and chat with them about what they liked or didn't like about the gear, any recommendations or advice, as well as their progression to their current kit. It was super helpful.

I then put together a package of my choosing that my LDS gave me a deal on rather than going with a pre-determined package. I still own the same gear a year and a half and almost 100 vacation dives later. :) I'm still very happy with my decisions.

I am a very beginner
I have been told I have to buy at least the very basic equipment. that is fins mask and snorkel
This is a question you heard one million times...
What would you suggest to buy for a beginner?
Thank you

Everything. No joke aside.....

But not new. The only thing you need to buy new is a mask because that's the ONE thing that absolutely has to be perfect.

There is a very lively market for 2nd hand gear out there. If you know what you're doing you can assemble a set of gear from people who just want to be rid of it, that is fairly modern and will last for years.

Case in point: I bought a full get of gear for my daughter online:

- Aqualung LX supreme
- Seaquest Diva
- Mares avantii fins
- Suunto Vyper computer
- compass and various other accessories.....

... for the grand total of about $500. All of this gear was in next to new condition and was being sold by various people who had given up diving after a year or two. I did -- I will admit -- buy a couple of those pieces for well under what I knew they were worth, even second hand. For example, I got the Diva for I think about $75 and it had only been used, according to the log book that the guy showed me, about 10 times. The fins were bought new and were still in the bag (no, not stolen, I saw the receipt) and I got those for $20, IIRC.

The point being, here that if you know what you are looking at then there is a LOT of really usable gear on the second hand market. This year I replaced my old BP/W for technical diving which I bought in 2002, with gear that a friend of mine had used once a couple of years ago and regretted buying. I got the whole set (new value of about $800) for $250. I has 10 dives on it. Upon selling my old tek set I was in the plus and managed to book a week of diving in Egypt with the money I saved by not buying new.

Shops hate it when you point this out and obviously as a shop instructor you can never EVER tell this stuff to your students but frankly you're an idiot if you buy new gear. The caveat is that you (a) REALLY need to know gear and know exactly what you're looking at and (b) need to have patience. The set I mentioned above that I bought for my daughter was assembled over a period of about 6 months by watching the internet every day or so. You can't just go to the internet and buy what you want.

R..

@Diver0001

I am under the impression that the OP is not certified yet and it may be possible that they may not like diving. Not specific to the OP or saying that it will happen, but I have seen students unable to complete the course. Outside of the bare necessities that many dive shops consider personal items, I'm not sure that it's necessary to buy all of those things before getting certified. One could argue that having bad gear can make or break someone's first dive experience and having your own gear but it is still quite a commitment.

Assuming the OP has done a discover dive or knows that diving is for sure for them, I think you gave great advice. Used gear is a great resource. There's a lot of good stuff out there.

@Diver0001

I am under the impression that the OP is not certified yet and it may be possible that they may not like diving. Not specific to the OP or saying that it will happen, but I have seen students unable to complete the course. Outside of the bare necessities that many dive shops consider personal items, I'm not sure that it's necessary to buy all of those things before getting certified. One could argue that having bad gear can make or break someone's first dive experience and having your own gear but it is still quite a commitment.

Assuming the OP has done a discover dive or knows that diving is for sure for them, I think you gave great advice. Used gear is a great resource. There's a lot of good stuff out there.

Ah..... yeah I assumed by his first post that he was freshly certified.

@Sbiriguda if you are not yet certified, then at MOST I would suggest buying a mask, snorkel and fins. That way, even if you don't end up liking diving you will have gear that you can use for snorkeling.

Don't buy anything more than that until you are certified and SURE that you are going to become a diver. At that point, buy 2nd hand, as I pointed out, but make sure you get someone who REALLY knows the 2nd hand gear market to help you make wise choices.

R..

Ah..... yeah I assumed by his first post that he was freshly certified.

@Sbiriguda if you are not yet certified, then at MOST I would suggest buying a mask, snorkel and fins. That way, even if you don't end up liking diving you will have gear that you can use for snorkeling. ....

Bummer if you don't like snorkelling...

Back
Top Bottom