Necessary equipment advice for a new diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sbiriguda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am a very beginner
I have been told I have to buy at least the very basic equipment. that is fins mask and snorkel
This is a question you heard one million times...
What would you suggest to buy for a beginner?
Thank you

Fins and mask would be important, given that these are generally considered personal items, and also having the most to do with comfort in the water (thus reducing stress). Also, these items are generally cheaper than most other equipment, thus making it easier for divers start with them.
With buying fins early on, you also get the advantage of being able to start practising propulsion skills such as frog kick, helicopter turns, back kicks etc.
As for a snorkel, I haven't really found a big difference between different types of snorkels. However, seeing as how they are potentially the cheapest equipment that you can start with, might as well purchase one of them. I have one of those foldable snorkels that I tuck into a pocket till I need it.

If you are in an area that requires exposure protection when diving, a personal wetsuit or drysuit would also be recommended as one of the earlier purchases. This would be due to the fact that exposure protection are quite personal items, and also that a good fit would make a beginner more comfortable in the water.

Moving on, I would advise you to go for a BCD, as that would enable you to improve your buoyancy skills. Personally, I feel that in my period of renting BCs, I was never able to fine tune my buoyancy skills as the properties and characteristics of rental BCs were always slightly different. After purchasing my own BC (a BP/W), I observed that I could retain most of my improvements in buoyancy and trim after a training session.

Regulators I would recommend leaving till the last, as they are quite cost prohibitive, and can be a nuisance to take care of, especially if you dont dive too frequently. Although some opine that having the peace of mind that your life support equipment is guaranteed to not have been abused does help with increasing comfort, I have personally found that rental regs are almost always adequate for the mission at hand. Therefore, I would recommend leaving regs till the last.

Of course, there are a lot of accessories that you can purchase whenever you have some extra money. For example
Compasses - useful for navigation
Torches - Useful for night dives, low visibility dives, or for signalling
Gloves - Useful for protecting your hands and keeping warm, albeit sacrificing dexterity
Slates/Wetnotes - Useful for noting objectives, lessons to be learnt, coordinates etc

Lastly, the sequence above does not have to be strictly that way, just purchase whatever happens to have a good deal and is affordable at the time, and sooner than you know, you would already have a full collection of scuba gear.

I am a very beginner
I have been told I have to buy at least the very basic equipment. that is fins mask and snorkel
Thank you

Snorkel doesn't really matter much. Any will do. Mask fit is very important so buy in person rather than online. Try fins on at shop with whatever boots you will be using.

The mask is personal to you and should fit properly so as all the above advice - go to a shop and try one on. Snorkel is a nonsense and if you need one to do training courses borrow one from the shop. Likewise fins are not a big deal.

Most new divers are advised to buy stuff. Mostly by people that stand to make money out of new divers buying stuff :wink:

Definitely buy your own mask.
I've never used my snorkel outside of my OW course.
I also bought my own wetsuit, although, again, this was a bit pointless as I'm from the UK and its nearly never warm enough to use apart from on warm holidays abroad.
I think its a good idea to buy your own fins, you will get used to the weight and feel of them and this will, in turn, help your trim and overall dive experience. If you are planning to travel a lot then consider lightweight ones. If you are in cold water /drysuit conditions then consider a heavier pair.

Lastly, i bought my own computer. It was just a Zoop, but having my own computer made me very aware of my NDL and depth. Also as i knew the Zoop inside and out, it was easy to glance at it and understand everything on the screen.

My first major purchase came 6 weeks after i completed my OW course, I bought myself my own regs. Now, over 100 dives on, i wouldn't even consider diving without my own regs.

Scuba Diving... Massive fun... Big upfront costs but gets cheaper once you own everything.

My thoughts for buying before a course are:
Mask - absolutely buy it in person. Unless you do you can't be sure it won't leak. Price means nothing compared to fit.
Snorkel - buy the cheapest that you can. Foldable snorkel will probably do the job just as well as the expensive "dry" snorkel once you know how to use it.
Fins - Buy a reasonably cheap set (possibly of Ebay/craigslist). Wait until you know what you want before buying an expensive set (I bought a set originally at £100 that now only get used for approx 1 week per year as they don't fit with my drysuit boots). Had I waited until I bought the suit, the fins that fitted them would have worked with wetsuit use.

I am a very beginner
Thank you

I'm glad you asked as I, too, am in the very beginning stages of my diving adventures. I purchased mask, fins, boots, and snorkel, when I signed up for class; a wet suit before my certification dives; and gloves, hood, and watch between certification dives. Now, I'm giving serious consideration to buying a knife, BCD, regs, and computer.

My first post-certification dive is this Saturday, so I appreciate the answers already provided and look forward to reading those yet to be written.

A noob question...
Since buying a mask is my main objective now, I would like to make it sure that I buy a good one
Are they all the same? For example, in Italy we have Cressi sub and Mares (actually two brands of the same company). I would like to buy one of those
Should I consider anything? Depth of the immersion I am planning, immersions during the day or during the night, temperature of the water, etc.?
Or they are more or less the same, and as long as I find a mask that suits me very well from a reputable brand I just buy it?

Some people like a clear mask skirt. I don't like the glare through a clear skirt so I now have a black one.

Cressi is fine. I had one Cressi mask and it worked well.

All masks are pretty much the same, the difference being how they fit you. Any reputable manufacturer works.

Get a neoprene mask strap. It helps fit.

I am a very beginner
Thank you

For fins, I suggest open heel fins with boots. More comfortable in the long run and better for shore diving to protect your feet. I am mostly a boat diver and I still prefer the boots - no blisters, and warmer! I use these for cold water diving and tropical water diving and I don't have a problem with my fee being cold.

Mask - get one that fits you the best. I prefer a black skirt...The clear ones tend to yellow and discolor. Also, mask fit is the most important, not price point or brand. A leaking mask or one that you have to constantly clear is going to drive you crazy on a dive. A quick way to narrow which ones are worthy of your time and effort is when you can slightly inhale and create suction of the mask on your face and it stays on without a strap on. Now put a snorkel or reg in and out of your mouth. If it still stays on, it’s a good mask for you. Remember to try to move only your lower jaw up and down when opening your mouth rather than your upper jaw which distorts your face and cheeks - it will encourage leaking.

Back
Top Bottom