Nearest diving to Pinehurst NC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aquamore

Contributor
Reaction score
My daughter and son-in-law recently moved to Pinehurst NC. I visit them 2 or 3 times a year as I live in Holland. I would like to do some diving and UW photography next time I come over, any recommendations.

May your bubbles flow forever upwards
Aquamore

If you are just looking to get wet, there is a fairly nice quarry about 50 miles(1 hr drive) away. If you want to ocean dive, Morehead City is about 3 1/2 hr drive and Wilmington is about a 3 hr drive. From either of these ares you can get in some world class wreck diving. Our sea condition are subject to change quickly and rough seas are common. There are days we have slick seas but 4 to 5 ft waves are more the norm and it's not unusual to get blown out(trip canceled) about 1/2 the time. The wrecks vary greatly but they are commonly in 100+ ft (30m+) of water and a 2 to 3 hr boat ride from shore. Seasickness can be a real problem for some people. Vis can range from a meter or 2 to 30 or more. There is typically loads of fish life on the wrecks. Being in or near the Gulf Stream ( a warm northerly ocean current) it is common to find tropical fish on our wrecks. Some of our wreck have populations of "friendly" sand tiger sharks, they ignore divers but will come very close at times making for some interesting shark photos.
Here is a link that might help http://ncscuba.com/

Hi Herman

That looks quite promising. NP with cold water tides and rough seas as I have done most of my diving as a Joint services Military Diving Supervisor off the coast os Scotland. The best wrecks are 35 metres deep 100ft + so I'm no stranger to depth.
If you get over to Europe then I can't promise Truk Lagoon but some of the best wreck diving I've done is in the North of Scotland at 'Scapa flow' where the German Navy scuppered their fleet during the war.
I also like diving with sharks and have only ever had one bad experience. (night diving with sharks is just too exciting sometimes!
:)
check out www.AllanM.com for some pics
Thanks for your quick reply which I will check out further and make some plans for my next visit!

Glad to help, if you need a buddy for a trip , let us know here. There are several divers from the general NC area that may be able to hookup with you. You will have no trouble with our waters, it's just that I see lots of people that are use to flat, shallow water or very new divers that come to our coast and get in way over their heads so I feel obligated to give people a little insite into what our diving conditions are really like. I have seen better than 50% of a boat hanging over the rail before we got half way to the wreck. That's not any fun and a "Carolina ladder ride" is nothing for the faint of heart.
By the way, Raleigh is about 1 1/2 hr from Pinehurst and we have 3 good dive shops here as well as a very good repair shop so if you need anything, we are not too far away.

Give a yell this way when you visit. If I am not out on the road with work... be glad to dive with you. I am in Fayetteville.

Hi Herman

Thanks for your offer to hook me up with a buddy and like yourself I also have a healthy respect for safety and the sea conditions, the sea takes no prisoners.

><8 --------------------------------
Raleigh is about 1 1/2 hr from Pinehurst
><8 --------------------------------

I came down the I1 and the I95/I85from Mannassas VA (via Richmond) last time and through Raleigh although I think my GPS had me going Via Durham so I may have taken longer. Having said that I travel a minimum of 4 hours when I dive in the UK, I find travelling relaxing and a good time to go through your dive plan in your mind before the Dive.

I hope to meet up with you soon.

Allan

Hey Rich

I like your Avantur picture (not seen so many canopies since 'Crusader 80' and your "Give a yell this way when you visit" message. Do I yell "Airborne!" and you reply "All the way""? :)

I will certainly look you up Rich. I am in Fayettville quite often, (usually up the Skibo Road), as my son-in-law commands the the GSC/7th SFG(A) SIGDET. I also did some Rebreather training with the BATT (Special Ops) in Fayetteville in the 70's for the the 82nd, and later in Vicenza, Italy as British liason and Italian Linguist.

I look forward to Diving with you some time soon!

AllanM
(SADS 765)
Ex-Senior NCO
Boat troop

hey...aqua....sorry took so long for me to get back on....i was doing Korea for 3 months. My job keeps me on the road a bit.

My old man was one of the original 1st Special Service Force members in WWII and helped organize about every SF group in existance. A "legend" in his own time.

I spent 4 in the eighty deuce and have the back and knee xrays to prove it !!

Give a yell...be glad to meet ya....pm me when you head this way again.

Aquamore:
My daughter and son-in-law recently moved to Pinehurst NC. I visit them 2 or 3 times a year as I live in Holland. I would like to do some diving and UW photography next time I come over, any recommendations.

May your bubbles flow forever upwards
Aquamore
well glade to see someone else from around my neck of the woods I live ten miles from there .
this is the shop in Pinehurst .
http://www.sandhills-scuba.com/default.asp
its a new shop ran by couple of my friends carol and Richard hest .
it;s a padi shop I am SSI but don't let that make any difference these are good folks and safety is number one . we getting ready for a trip to Cozumel in April , have shop club meeting this Saturday at 3 pm tell them to stop bye .

Hey Rich

I'll do that, Medic 13 already gave me the 'Heads up' about Carol and Richard's shop. I intend to pay them a visit.

From what you tell me your old man probably knew mine, he was a Warrant Officer in the DLI and instrumental in major operations during the Berlin Airlift. He loved working with the AAA and enjoyed the US Army K rations... perhaps thats why I swapped our Compo rations with your guys MRE's in GW1?

Keep in touch

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom