Near drowning experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Geoff_H

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

I thought I would probably never write this, but I hope it might help one or two others, as well as being a cathartic excercise for me.

Some minor background: I consider myself an active and experienced diver - I qualified 3/4 years ago and have around 240 dives in Asia - in 2007 I racked up 100 dives split roughly equally between boats and shore dives. I have all my own gear and feel comfortable in the water.

So last week I went on my second diving holiday in the year, which I briefly recounted here

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/zen-divers/232243-tokara-nakanoshima-trip-photos.html#post3536564

What I neglected to mention is a nasty shore dive where I panicked and came much closer to leaving this beautiful planet than I dreamt in my worst nightmares. It was too choppy for our little boat, so we went down to a new dive site for a shore dive. I've dived in some rough conditions in Japan so the breakers didn't bother me in the slightest.

What I *should* have noticed on the entrance was there was only a 5-10m band of clear water than was safe to entry/exit through, bracketed by some shallow water, rocky outcrops and 3-4 foot wave/breakers.

Due to my complacency I didn't register this, so did the dive and coming back missed the entry point with the complex geological formations. The dive was max depth 20m and after about 30 mintes I was down to 50 bar. With all the splashing white water and surge on the shallow rocks I decided to ascend slowly and check out our location prior to exiting.

So I did this, and found myself in the wrong area, and buffetted by strong waves. Retrospectively, if I had assessed the dive site properly I would have descended, swam to the entry point and exited that way. Since I didn't, I decided to swim to shore (only 50 yards) and deal with the breakers.

I inflated my wing fully, and the first thing that happened is I arrived at some shallow water > heavy breakers and I got smashed into the rock, and lost my first fin. A little perturbed, I tried to catch my breath and bam, my mask was ripped off too. More perturbed, my breathing quicked and I continued towards shore only to have my other fin ripped off and got thrown around a bit more.

I will be completely honest and admit I totally panicked here, I was getting smashed around, lost locomotion and the ability to descend easily and lost the ability to think rationally. I didn't have my regulator in (despite 30-40 bar left), I didn't ride the breakers to shore, I didn't do anything right whatsoever.

From surfacing to getting into this state only took 2-3 minutes.

I yelled at my buddy in complete and utter panic, I thought I was going to die.... I actually pee'd myself, such was my loss of bodily control. Fortunately for me my buddy came and got me and it was all I could do to avoid jumping on him and pushing him down into the water to help me get further out [the survival instinct was just so strong]. That was the one part of my training (from Rescue diver) that kicked in during the panic and I managed to avoid doing that. He got me to a safe point (a ridiculously short 20-30 yards) and I struggled out of the water. It is no exaggeration to say I couldn't move for 20 minutes - my legs were jelly and I clung to that rock for dear life, heart pounding, head thumping and still utterly petrified.

After I calmed down, everything was fine, though I still managed to twist my ankle and remove my ability to walk for the next 3 days - whether that was in the water or on the beach I have no idea whatsoever.

Thinking back rationally I should have been in no danger at all and I realise I made a number of stupid mistakes, almost all through complacency. I probably could have rescued my
myself in under 60 seconds had I kept a clear head. Here they are, I just hope someone in a similar situation to me might find some use:

1. Always assess the entry/exit conditions on a beach dive properly and plan your exit throughly
2. Don't panic - it achieves nothing and puts you and your buddy in significantly more danger
3. Call the turn well before half tank pressure to give ample time to find the way back evenin tough nav. conditions.
4. Secure mask more tightly on rough beach exits!
5. My regulator is an air source below and above the surface (sounds stupid I know, but why didn't I put it in? :( )
6. Consider using a weight-belt instead of tank strap weights for shore dives
7. Thumb the dive before starting if the conditions look bad.

Regards
Geoff.

PS. My life-saving buddy will be receiving a nice thankyou in the near future.

Wow, glad you made it through. It shows that it doesn't take much of a mistake to end up in the situation you did. Thanks for sharing.

A few years ago I was in Mexico and we were diving a pinnacle or very small island I guess. The sea was pretty big and I went into what looked like a pass through to get a shot, it was quite shallow near the rocks. I got caught in an eddy and was thrashed for what seemed like 5 minutes before I could finally swim down and out. Stupid mistake and the scariest moment of my dive life. I managed to keep my dome port from getting scratched though...:D

I'll add that I think experiences like yours that you actually live through can make you a better diver. I would guess that next time you will react differently or probably not get into that situation in the first place.

Wow, glad you made it through. It shows that it doesn't take much of a mistake to end up in the situation you did. Thanks for sharing.

I think it was a lot of small mistakes - in themselves not important but compounded made it turn nasty, fast.

Stupid mistake and the scariest moment of my dive life. I managed to keep my dome port from getting scratched though...:D

Amazing I also managed to hang on to my camera in this situation. I should have added I half unbuckled my BP/W in this and ended up with it twisting and getting caught in the waves too. Again in retrospect I should have left it buckled.

I'll add that I think experiences like yours that you actually live through can make you a better diver. I would guess that next time you will react differently or probably not get into that situation in the first place.

"What ever doesn't kill you makes you stronger"... I hope this is true!

You're right this won't be happening to me again, I won't get myself into that situation and even if I do through some unforseen problems then I hope I won't panic in the same way.

I think it was a lot of small mistakes - in themselves not important but compounded made it turn nasty, fast.
One of my minor hobbies is learning about engineering disasters and how they come about. Most of the time, it's not one large isolated problem coming up out of the blue; the series of events of minor significance adding up to a catastrophe is far more often the way of things. The problems arise when you don't recognize enough of the little things early enough to prevent them snowballing out of control.

It's a credit to you and your training that you were able to beat down your panic enough to allow yourself to be helped, and I certainly thank you for sharing your story. It's a good reminder to me of some of the things I should be watching for in myself and my diving in order to short circuit the chain of events that may lead to a bad situation.

Thanks for sharing, sounds scary.
As a surfer for 10 years in Hawaii I was battered on many rocks like this and it was part of the sport.
But one time I was attempting to paddle through a simple, shallow 10 foot rock pass-thru and my brain wouldn't let it happen, too many dynamics going on both above and below. It was deceptively hazardous...Im sure you nerves were taxed...

I think it was a lot of small mistakes - in themselves not important but compounded made it turn nasty, fast. /QUOTE]

Good point.

Amazing I also managed to hang on to my camera in this situation./QUOTE]

Funny how you might lose a lot of items but the camera, no way...:D

I am glad you made it through that situation, and even more glad that you have the courage to have posted you experience. A lot of people will learn from this, and perhaps have the guts to post some of their close calls too......

Thanks for the post! I'm truly glad everything ended up ok. I panicked recently and had the "I'm going to die" feeling and it was not fun. I'm sorry you had to go through it, but I do agree with those who say it will probably make you (and I) better divers and more aware of all situations.

6. Consider using a weight-belt instead of tank strap weights for shore dives

I personally only wear ditchable weight, for reasons such as rough exits. Getting back on my boat usually qualifies, as we do not have a ladder.

I am a new guy to this board, I can't believe i going to post this but if you got the steel ones to post guess I have it. Background first then story.

Got certified in 1996 while working for a fire dept in West Virgina had no plans on using diving except for body recovery or search and rescue mostly the former. got about 26 dives I think got married she whinned so i quite diving, I know stupid but i did it. Then moved to Fl. after my divorce.Decided I was going to take a refesher course And I did was 7 years out of the water. After my class was done Decided I could work for a friend he had a contract to clean out a private spring in which was only 25 feet deep use a hookah system. My first day, bigger job than I thought mud, silt 20 feet deep sucking this up to the top of the hill. The buddy I was sent to work with was an employee of an dive shop and a boat captain. I ASSUME he knew what he was doing told me to wear 28 pounds of weight to stay on the bottom since that was where we were working. Let me now say I am 5feet 1inch Tall 120 lbs fully dressed for winter of temps below -30 deg. I very small guy lol. Get every thing together head down every thing working fine until get 30-50lbs fishing line some how wrapped around my air hose cutting off all my air wearing to much lead can't get to the surface can't get the belt off hung up somewhere not sure where vis is lucky to see my mask cvan't find my buddy name withheld he feels bad enuff. Start going nuts kicking for the surface wearing no fins just booties, break surface take big breath down again did this several times 4-5 I think. Finally get my self to calm down tell my self you have 2 more trips work the problem or you are going to DIE!! get my head put together finally was able to get the belt to drop free get to the surface crawl to the edge just enuff to get for face out to breath.this took all of about 3-4 mins seemed like a life time. by buddy comes up to see where I am can't find him I can hardly talk. tell him what happened he tells me well it was ok take it easy, then later tells me he still has a paper card just got cert. last week. I assumed he was way more skilled than I since I have never done any thing like this. I asked him how he decided that I needed 28 lbs to stay down his repy I just thought it was be easier to stay on bottom. When I went back down 20 mins later I had 8 lbs on. My Screw-ups 1)listen to someone I did not know.
2)did something I had never done before
with-out training.
3)Lose my head when I should have worked
the problem.
The things I did not screw-up

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom