Near Drowning at Ginnie Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wait, are you saying that simple cave training from a qualified instructor (most cave instructors are) would have resolved the question, pretty much even before it was asked?

You don't say...

Ben

You're using an impossible scenario with poorly trained divers to prove your point.

Tell me the system that this could happen in and then we'll debate this, better yet, a system you've dove personally...

Ben

2 lousy brains are not better than one good one though it can be more entertaining.

1 lousy one and one good one pretty much cancel each other out kind of like being married.

2 good brains is the goal. If they've trained and practiced and increase the complexity of their dives a little at a time the chances of one going bonkers gets really slim.

OneBrightGator:
Wait, are you saying that simple cave training from a qualified instructor (most cave instructors are) would have resolved the question, pretty much even before it was asked?

You don't say...

Ben

ah... no further comment required...

Genesis:
You did a bunch of things wrong to get there, obviously, and Mike's got the short list already.
snipped indiscriminately

But I have to raise my questions again sorry.

Why would you have that much line with no markers ? Gen question from someone no where near qualified who needs to understand.

where does the "you go , i go " come from? is that DIR ? where? i dont see it in the fundies book i just searched.

Hey maybe i had too much Stella before posting but i really want to know, if this DIR thing is gonna teach me to to kill myself when I know better, then I'm sorry but i'm going back to Dopplers Wanker Supreme. (apologies to mods for language)

Please do tell ?

Hopps

Hoppy,

DIR is team diving but it also requires both divers to be qualified and on the same page (like any two good diver would be).

The diver in this situation who lost it has problems that started before loosing the line.

darn it i didn't know there was going to be a quiz...

why doesn't anybody ever tell me these things?

Genesis,

I've compared military training to diving before, but always if I was comparing apples to apples. The allusion you used...Marines never leave anyone behind, and DIR philosophy of always sticking together simply does not work. It is like comparing apples to oranges.

Marines are in combat; cave divers are not. Marines never leave a man behind out of a code of life as a Marine instilled upon them. Every Marine that they serve with has been similarly trained. Dive buddies are a different story.

Marines risk their life, and risk their life saving their buddy out of a belief. If you have ever been there, you can understand, if you haven't, you cannot, nor can you comment on it. Diving is not that way, unless you're buddy is your brother or father or mother. THAT IS HOW STRONG THE BELIEF OF THE MARINES IS!! That's an assumption on my part, I was Army. I am assuming that their beliefs are at least as strong as mine were.

FYI, The no man left rule behind refers, usually to dead soldiers or Marines. Do not let the enemy take them away. This is simply not something that applies to diving. I'll be happy to expand on that with you, privately, if you want.

Choose carefully your analogies, Genesis.

Colin Berry

Mike , Netdoc and Genesis I just got back from N Fl. a few weeks ago. I did a stage in Little River. My buddy and I wiggled through a rather tight restriction and after a few minutes the rather small tunnel we were in got a little cloudy, well actually we were at zero and touch contact and backing out in reverse untill we were able to turn around. My buddy, after we were breaking down our gear, commented "we're diving now!" Now for some this may have been a little much and for others the norm for cave diving. I however would not have cleared the first restriction If I didn't have COMPLETE confidence in my buddy. His training, experience and ATTITUDE gives me the confidence as I hope my mine does him. There isn't anyway that I would have the confidence in my buddy if he hadn't had some formal training. And there isn't anyway I could "check" him out in a cave dive to see if I would dive with him. Truth be known, he is an instructor and every dive we make I am listening to his PROFESSIONAL opinion and advice so that I can improve constantly, every dive. I don't think I'm going to be comfortable with advice from someone that read it in a book and figured it out on their own. Keeping in mind, and I don't mean to blow my own horn, I've been an OW inst. for 16 years and cave diving for over 14. My cave inst/buddy has less than ten years total but he can give me advice anyday, heck everyday-Dive Safe-Dive Alot-M

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom