NDR....Warning! New Texas Traffic Law on the books!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I live in New York and I do not believe ther is any statutes on the books dealing with this situation. I also believe that it is just a matter of time before some law is enacted. I as a matter of course always try to give pulled over vehicles as much room as possible

well this type of move by the state doesnt suprise me at all. they are trying everything that they can to get money since the didnt count on the boom on the 90's to kaboom in the 00's. But to me this is just totally stupid, but then again all i have to look at the college i work/attend to see the states stupidty in action.

FWIW

Tooth

TruckDiver:
The word was put out about that new law, saw it several times on the news and in print. Maybe I just pay more attention to traffic laws given my profession. Sorry to hear ya got popped though....

Yep, I saw it in both newspapers I receive. But then, I always thought it was courteous & safe driving. I know I'd hate to be the officer standing at the side of a stopped car, watch the driver and any passengers for dangerous actions, with cars passing in the adjacent lane at a speed that would kill me if I stepped back to dodge a weapon, or if the approaching driver drifted over a few feet my way.

don

ScubaTexan:
The DPS never publicizes these new laws...the better to spring surprises on unsuspecting drivers.

For instance, did you know that it is now illegal for your Scuba Diving license plate frame to cover up the word TEXAS on your plates? Fortunately, mine doesn't, but the people that make license plate frames here are taking a big hit this year.

The law is that it is illegal to cover or touch any information on your license plate. Mine looked like it was touching but if you got down to its level it wasn't. I still got a warning ticket for it. Looks to me like the big Texas emblem would be a give away as to where the plate came from. This silly new law is either a revenue raiser or another excuse to pull someone over for no reason. If the tag is obstructed it would be one thing but just touching the top of the letters, get real. Only in Texas! I guess it could be worse, we could have Arnold for govenor!

Joe

Dee,
On my way down I-30 today, I saw the same thing- 4 state troopers within 1-2 miles of one another. Three had cars pulled over, the 4th was just driving slowly in front of us until we passed it. This makes the 2nd time I've seen this in the past 2 trips I've made on that particular interstate- within the last couple of weeks. Anyway, it made me be a good girl...
Foo

Thanks, Dee. We do make road trips to DFW (great scuba shops, ScubaToys.com rocks!) and this will definitely be on my list of things to look out for.
Hope Texas DOT gets those signs up before tourist season!

i got pulled over in houston on the way out to florida on my move here. he gave me a warning. thats the only time i have _EVER_ been pulled over.

I returned last month after 8 months out of state. Before I left, the new law was carried by every television station in the area for several days. I believe the radio stations and print also carried it. It was enforced very quickly but I think they were only giving warnings at first. There were some problems the first few weeks from misquotations or confusion that every lane had to slow down to 20mph. I thought it was going to kill a bunch of drivers when the car in front of me slowed from 70 to 20. After the first couple weeks, I didn't run across that problem again.

I don't think this one was a money scheme by the state. This was to reduce enforcers and safety crews being struck by motorists. I had noticed the DPS going to the right side of the car and I haven't seen them do that since the new law.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom