NC Ranked 3rd in the World

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jackie,
I think the plan is to start out on the close in shallower wrecks early in the season and hopefully have the group progress as the season goes. I think the more experienced divers are willing hold off a little and help the newer divers get a custom to diving the NC coast in a safe manner.
Do you know Charlie? He's one of our gang and also from Burlington.
Look forward to diving with you this summer and come hang with us some through out the winter.

Jason

Jason is exactly right. I'm not trying to say that the new divers can't go to the offshore wrecks. I would just like to have everyone do at least one inshore dive in NC first. I know that some folks will be driving in from northern Va. but I hope they can look at it as a training dive. I really want to get this group going. If I'm underestimating the experience of you guys let me know. Are there those of us that have done more wreck diving than I'm aware of?

Now is the time to start ironing out the details of where and when we want to go so we can get the boats and accomidations that we want. Everyone feel free to post their opinions here or pm me if you have concerns. You won't hurt my feelings :wink:

Hey there guys- yeah- I just got a PM from Charlie, I have yet to meet him though.
I totally understand if the dive plan heads out to bigger and better wrecks- there are plenty to see out there. Although I am AOW and have done deep and wreck certs, I just like to play it safe- especislly as I do not usually dive in rough conditions. I'm much more of a girly diver liking the nice warm and calm waters :)

but I will keep an eye on the thread and hopefully hook up if things work out.

Jason,

Thanks for the offer of crashing at your place. It would certainly help break up that long ride. I agree yours and Dale's thoughts on doing in shore dives as a group to gain the knowledge and familiarity of NC diving and each other. I am interested in learning about wreck diving and getting wreck certified, so I will use the shallower dives to learn from you more experienced divers.

Pedro

I would like to come out with you all and have some fun as well as gain good wreck experience slowly. I will keep an eye on these threads as it gets closer to the season. Hope to dive with you all soon,

Matt

Jason B:
I get a newsletter from Discovery Diving and this was in the one I just received. Thought I'd pass it on.

Where doe's this place come in. www.irishwrecksonline.net

... the people from Scuba Diving Magazine must not dive around much. No argument with Truk but NC and the BVI's are interesting choices for second and third IMO.

gedunk:
... the people from Scuba Diving Magazine must not dive around much. No argument with Truk but NC and the BVI's are interesting choices for second and third IMO.

The criteria for grading?. If its numbers of wrecks the link above gives 166 wrecks for Ireland. What are the numbers for NC?.

I think NC rates well for several reasons: 1) The gulf stream that brings warm water, and great vis as well. 2) The number of wrecks and history. 3) The large animals that you will almost certainly encounter.

As I mentioned, I am no expert with only three trips under my belt, however I have spoken to several people who have dove all over the world, and they said, when conditions are right, NC can be some of the best diving in the world.

The only problem may be timing a trip just right and getting to the right location.

Just my 2 cents and maybe worth a little less. :wink:

Ken

"In 1968, Duke University cataloged the coastal wrecks of North Carolina and documented 2,000 sites. There are tankers, ocean liners, airplanes, and both an American submarine and a German U-boat. Most of the wrecks met their demise at the hands of hurricanes in the early years, and German U-Boats during World War II."

From:http://www.diveglobal.com/explore_destinations/destinations/usa/ncarolina.asp

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom