NC Ranked 3rd in the World

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jason B

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I get a newsletter from Discovery Diving and this was in the one I just received. Thought I'd pass it on.

NC was ranked 3rd in the world for wreck diving in this months SCUBA Diving Magazine. We were beaten only by Truck Lagoon in Micronesia and the BVI's. "Tricky currents and fierce naval Battles off North Carolina's Outer Banks have been snaring unlucky mariners for centuries."
See page 53 for the rest or on line at scubadiving.com

Jason B:
I get a newsletter from Discovery Diving and this was in the one I just received. Thought I'd pass it on.

Jason,

I have a subscription to both Scuba Diving and PADI's Sport Diver magazine and they always mention NC has one of the best places for wreck diving. I can't wait until next year to check it out. Maybe we can get a NCWD get together on one of those charters.

Pedro

Maybe we can get a NCWD get together on one of those charters.
Pedro,
Believe me, we already have that in the works! Stay tuned...

Jason

Jason B:
Pedro,
Believe me, we already have that in the works! Stay tuned...

Jason

Jason,

Where do I sign up for advanced reservations? I am sure you guys will make it happen and when you do I am there.

Pedro

Don't worry Pedro..I got "connections" :wink:. I know we're #3 in the world but the other stats are great too. We're always #1 in North America for wreck diving and in the top 5 in large animal encounters and others that I can't recall right now.

That being said, I have a few concerns about running a full day offshore charter for our first group wreck dive. Please don't anyone take offense but, so far we have several very new divers that haven't done any NC ocean dives. NC is not like Coz or the Keys..we often have fairly rough seas and the boat rides are long to get to the marquee dive sites (U-352, Papoose, etc) I just don't want anyone to get in over their head so to speak. I would hate for anyone to have a bad experience and get discouraged from persuing NC Wreck Diving.

I suggest that we run a half day charter to one of the inshore wrecks first. Maybe go out to the Indra which is a great wreck to learn on. The boat ride is only about 45 minutes to an hour each way. Using 30% you get a lot of bottom time as the bottom is only about 65-70fsw. We could arrange to do a morning trip and be back in time to have a nice afternoon and cookout or something.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for getting this group out to the "good" wrecks, I just don't want to rush new divers.

Let me know what you guys/gals think.

dwright:
Don't worry Pedro..I got "connections" :wink:. I know we're #3 in the world but the other stats are great too. We're always #1 in North America for wreck diving and in the top 5 in large animal encounters and others that I can't recall right now.

That being said, I have a few concerns about running a full day offshore charter for our first group wreck dive. Please don't anyone take offense but, so far we have several very new divers that haven't done any NC ocean dives. NC is not like Coz or the Keys..we often have fairly rough seas and the boat rides are long to get to the marquee dive sites (U-352, Papoose, etc) I just don't want anyone to get in over their head so to speak. I would hate for anyone to have a bad experience and get discouraged from persuing NC Wreck Diving.

I suggest that we run a half day charter to one of the inshore wrecks first. Maybe go out to the Indra which is a great wreck to learn on. The boat ride is only about 45 minutes to an hour each way. Using 30% you get a lot of bottom time as the bottom is only about 65-70fsw. We could arrange to do a morning trip and be back in time to have a nice afternoon and cookout or something.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for getting this group out to the "good" wrecks, I just don't want to rush new divers.

Let me know what you guys/gals think.

Dale,

It all depends if you want to be all-inclusive. The shallower dives, under 60 ft, would allow those folks with OW certs to participate. But if an overwhelming majority of the people wanting to go are qualifed AOW or better then the deeper wrecks would be in order. I myself would prefer going to see the big wrecks like the Papoose, if I am driving a long distance to Morehead City.

Pedro

I would've thought Bermuda to beat out North Carolina easy...

I'm with Pedro, if I'm driving to Morehead, I want to do some nice dives. My experience with the half day charters is, 25 minute dive, followed by a "max" 30 minute surface interval, followed by another 25 minute dive. Rush, hurry, hurry, rush. These half day trips are great for instructors-get 'em in, get 'em out, go home, make the money. When I'm the one spending the money, I want a good dive with some bottom time, and a relaxing, fun surface interval.
That said, I'm sure as the season goes on we'll be able to progressively hit further and deeper wrecks. Before we really start hitting the real deep wrecks we do need to be sure everyone is capable of handling the conditions and to "do it safe".
Hey Pedro, whenever we do a Morehead dive, you and Ken are welcome to stop in at my place and crash for the night (I live right on the way for you guys), then we can get up early and head on out. Break up you guys drive time some.

Jason

dwright:

if you guys do plan to do one of the sissy wrecks, I would definately be up for joining in- and probalby my buddy too. I would not want to jusmp in with a rough seas/long boat ride for my first trip out- but if you end up voting for a better wreck, and I can uderstand that people would want to do taht for a long drive, then just let me know when you want to to a tiddler.

Jackie

I totally agree with you Dale.
I don't do much NC diving as I always seem to get stuck with a new diver as a buddy. Don't get me wrong, I like diving with new divers, just not 40 miles off shore in 100ft of water on a dive I paid a lot to get to. I paid for the bottom time and I want it......sorry, I am still peaved about my last coast dive. I would not want to discourage anyone but deep offshore dives are not the place to begin diving our coast. How about having to do a few initiation dives for everyone? A couple of 60 fters to let the group gel somewhat and let us get to know each other. If you want to join in on the offshore wrecks, you have to be accepted by the group. I don't want to sound elitest or want to exclude anyone but having had the "pleasure" of diving with a coupleb last minute buddies, I really do prefer to know who I am diving with. To be totally honest I like the 60ftrs better anyway, I like the extra bottom time. As for charters rushing us, if we take the entire boat, we have some say in the matter, if the op wants our business again. I would be a lot more inclined to dive here if I had a reasonable chance of buddying with someone I knew or at least knew they were know to the group.

Back
Top Bottom