NC Diving trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i know bob b has stayed near wilmington with pets. it was a general motel, not a specific dive lodge, but i don't remember which. you could try shooting him a pm.

i hope you have a great time!

You will find the water and sea critters on our offshore wrecks to be very similar to what you find in Florida and (to a large extent) Caribbean waters. The big difference up here is that, because you are so far offshore, you are in unprotected water so the conditions are quite variable and can change from day to day.

Someone mentioned getting a safety sausage which is a good idea. However, don't waste your money on one of those 3 foot ones. For offshore, I'd recommend one that's at least 6' long. I'd also recommend one that is semi-closed so that you can deploy it from depth, if needed. Odds are that if you can't find the anchor line, you aren't far from it if you are still on the wreck. Deploy the sausage from here and it will probably pop up right next to the boat (or at least nearby). The crew on the boat are more likely to see it and can track it if the current pushes it (and you) away from the boat. If you try to do a free ascent from the wreck before deploying a sausage, there's no telling how far from the boat you will end up and they may not see you when you surface. Which brings me to my other recommendation...bring a good reel with at least 150' of line on it.

:shocked2:

I mean the boats.

I prefer diving out of Morehead. I have been out with all 2 of the bigger ops there, and a few of the one boat ops. Although I had a great course and 2 days of diving with Olympus, their boats are big and chock full in the summer. Too many divers on one wreck for me. Their boats are nicer than most of the others, but I still prefer the smaller boats and six packs.

Discovery runs a six pack in addition to it's other boats which are still smaller than those of Olympus. Tortuga is a six pack that I have heard good things about too.

I think everyone else has the rest well covered. Don't be brave, take the bonine.

If you're going to be in Charleston, and want to check out some fossil beds, I highly recommend you look up Captain Johnny at Cooper River Dive Charters (Cooper River Dive Charters - CooperRiverDiving.Com) . The black water of the Cooper isn't for everyone, but speaking for myself, there is nothing quite like losing yourself on the bottom for an hour and filling a catch bag with Meg teeth, arrow heads, and all kinds of other artifacts you come across. It is challenging and yet peaceful at the same time. Was, is, and will always be, one of my favorite sites. And to top it off, Johnny will treat you right.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom