NAVY Seal rebreathers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the training environment is a little more .... involved. Not paying attention isn't so much of an option. The ones that pay attention to the lectures and hands on and can not remember it are generally washed out.

aparatchiki:
I just finished watchng the 6 episode documentary by discovery channel about the training of Navy SEALS called BUD/S (Basic Underwater Demolition school). it covered the 25-week training period of class 234.

the film showed the experience of 125 + students who will go thru BUDS From the 1st day of training...going thru hell week... dive phase training... waterborne operations... urban/land warfare....all the way to the graduation day.

ok, ok...wat's this got to do with rebreathers, you say?

here it is on episode 5...it showed about the DIVE phase training of BUD/S...its supposed to be a nine-week training phase where they are taught everything about diving from open circuit scuba to draeger lar V rebreathers

The film showed how the students were taught free diving techniques, Free Swimming ascents (similar to CESA in PADI OW) and dive procedures, dive medicine and physics, etc. including gear exchange, ditch & don, navigation underwater, etc.

Like i mentioned...the dive phase training lasts only 9 weeks (after that its land warfare training)... and the SEAL instructors mentioned that some of the students who go thru BUD/S training have never had extensive (if any at all) experience in water (just water...as in Pool water...and not even the ocean...)

and yet they breezed thru Open circuit and rebreathers in 9 weeks....ok ok, i've read the comments that one should get at least 500 dives or more (way more as said in the other thread...i think like 1000+ dives) before trying on CCRs...but how come these boys (yes boys they are...they have 17 year olds there on the documentary on training, mind you) go thru the whole she-bang in 9 weeks? now i dont think they could accumulate 500 dives in the short span of 9 weeks in OC (less than 9 weeks becuase halfway thru the dive phase they shift to CCRs) they can accumulate 500+ dives already.

Now, im posting it here for some healthy exchange of ideas...i just got curious what some people here have to say about it.

*cheers*

they weren't using CCR (closed circuit rebreathers) They were using SCR (semi-closed circuit rebreathers) and only do nitrox (21%+ oxygen). You can go to just about any TDI rebreather facility and take a SCR class with only an open water certification and nitrox specialty.

I have had the luck to closley inspect a military ccr (shadow) and they certainly are not the same as the civillian variety, you pick them up put them on and go, they are made so you can use them without a knoledge of how they work you just turn them on. they are not interested in learning how it works just that it will work. those guys have no idea whats happening inside it, just you dump the scrubber after using it make sure the gas is full and on.you can strip one in seconds and you cannot reassemble it incorrectly as the parts will only fit the corresponding correct part.
they are very nice units though

Because they are navy SEALs. They can do almost anything they want.

amascuba:
they weren't using CCR (closed circuit rebreathers) They were using SCR (semi-closed circuit rebreathers) and only do nitrox (21%+ oxygen). You can go to just about any TDI rebreather facility and take a SCR class with only an open water certification and nitrox specialty.

What SCR's are you talking about? They are trained on the LAR-V, a Closed Circuit Oxygen Rebreather. Referred to as the MK25 UBA. None of the US military are currently using an SCR in any quantity. There are some Vyper SC's in use by one group. Other than that, they're all CCR's, either O2 or ECCR.

Rebreathers Have been around longer than open circuit as we know it...
Rebreathers are VERY SAFE and Yes they can KILL YOU at same time...
This is like a Gun it is Safe it is just who is using it...
If you are ready to try then look for intro dive and then after look for Full course.Aloha Mark..yes I am rebreather Instructor..

mntdiver:
What SCR's are you talking about? They are trained on the LAR-V, a Closed Circuit Oxygen Rebreather. Referred to as the MK25 UBA. None of the US military are currently using an SCR in any quantity. There are some Vyper SC's in use by one group. Other than that, they're all CCR's, either O2 or ECCR.

I thought that the LAR-V was basically a a drager dolphin. Am I wrong with that thinking?

amascuba:
I thought that the LAR-V was basically a a drager dolphin. Am I wrong with that thinking?

The only thing in common between the LAR-V and the Dolphin is the basic configuration and they're made by Drager. The bottle is on the bottom and the cases are somewhat similar, other than that, two different animals. One is on the back (Dolphin) and LAR-V is front mounted. The LAR-V has a single counterlung and no overpressure relief valve. It's a fairly simple system as rebreathers go. The Dolphin is semi-closed with constant mass flow orifaces for different nitrox mixes, where the LAR-V uses a demand addition only and is oxygen, closed circuit.

Thanks for the information!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom